SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stantions

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  midwesterner 
#1 ·
The stantions on my Pearson 28 Sailboat were loose. After tightening them I realized the rubber gaskets under them are probably dried and cracked. Thus all the leaking i"m finding. Does anyone know where I can get replacement gaskets for these life line stations? Is that something that can be bought ready made or should I make new ones by hand. (easy enough from what I see. Any suggestions???

#5 ·
Don't replace the gaskets with new gaskets. Use a good sealant like butyl or Sika 291. The Pearson gaskets have caused a lot of leaks over the years - they were the wrong idea to start with. Any substance under a fitting should stick to both the deck and the fitting so there are not any leaks when (not if) the fitting moves.

Here's a great link on re-bedding hardware with butyl. Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

#6 ·
Thanks to ALL.. Once again you've come through. I'll pick up some butyl tape. My only question is this.. My fitting is bigger than the tape is wide. So I'll need at least two pieces. Wouldn't this leak at the tape joint? Or does the pressure hold it tight?

#7 ·
butyl tape is like rubber putty. it sticks to itself and can be formed to any shape. I don't use it because I don't like the way the dirt sticks to it as it keeps squeezing out from under the parts. I use 4200 sealer for most deck hardware as it sets up and stays clearner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.