SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Repair Sabre Upper Lifeline Termination Ring

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
While putting a line around a piling, I was leaning against the upper lifelines with my knees at the aft end where the lifeline terminate at the stern pulpit. The pulpit has a stainless ring welded to it to which the lifeline turnbuckle is attached. Even though I wasn't leaning that hard, and am not obese, the ring parted and I ended up in the Chesapeake Bay. I consider this to be a blessing in disguise because it could have parted while underway with disasterous results. Since I now suspect ALL the welded fittings on the bow & stern pulpits, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a better solution than simply welding a new (thicker) ring. I've looked at some of the fitting manufacturers and they all seem to rely on some sort of welded fitting. The stern pulpit has a horizontal rail to which the ring is welded; if it were vertical, the answer would be easy. The boat is a 1984 Sabre 38.

#5 ·
LOL.... at least it was you and not anyone else... Welds are often subject to faster corrosion than unwelded areas, due to the changes that occur when the weld is made.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've been leaning toward the weld solution anyway since anything else appears like a jury rig. It's possible that the weld was compromised. The boat is older and who knows what happened before I owned her. Maybe I'll have the port side done "just in case" with a larger diameter ring.

As for Catalina's they're fine boats - my father had three (22, 27, 30) and I worked for 2 dealers a VERY long time ago. I'll stay with Sabre though (2 boats over 20 years).

Thanks!

#8 ·
Sabreman...for our lifeline attachment to the pulpit there is a rounded off trianguar piece of stainless welded to the pulpit which has a hole drilled in it for attachment to the lifeline fittings. The base of the triangle provides a nice long welding surface for a secure weld. This seems to me to be a lot more secure than the tiny surface area provided by the half circle attachments like we had on previous boats. If you're having it re-done on both sides you may want to consier this alternative.

#9 ·
Great refinement! Even though the tube is 1", I could get a nice triangle with a 1" base welded in lieu of the ring. If the triangle stock was hefty, the lifeline cable would part before the attachment! (but that's another issue).

Thanks for the idea...what these forums are all about. depending on how it turns out, I may extend the idea to the bow pulpit and replace the welded triangular bail. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.