SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hull down to fiberglass, just bottom paint?

856 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CT_Tempest 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a good winter, as those in the cooler climates who can't boat year round call it. The tarps are coming off here in Connecticut, so it's time for my first post.

Some improvements I made to my trailer allowed me better access to the area of the hull of my O'Day Tempest where the poppets are against the hull. As I sanded the area down and got the remnants of some barnacles off, I had to sand all the bottom paint off and it's down to what I believe is the fiberglass (see pictures). This is just the case in a few spots.

My question is, do I need to apply something first to the fiberglass, or do I just roll the bottom paint over those spots? Usually when I apply bottom paint, I've applied it over another layer of bottom paint.

Thanks,
Alan

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I see in the pictures and I can't really see much detail as I look on my iPhone, the white bottom looks to be in good shape. To be specific, you are seeing the gel coat surface, not fiberglass. If you were seeing fiberglass it would be the glass mats and mean that the gel coat has been sanded off which would require a much more intensive repair. Gel coat provides the waterproofing the fiberglass needs to be solid. I can't tell if there are blisters in the gel coat which would require the gel coat's eventual removal and replacement. You have 2 choices here. You can remove all of the bottom paint and put on a couple of layers of waterproof anti blister paint and then your bottom paint or you can simply repaint with your favorite bottom paint over your now prepared bottom which is what I would do in the absence of blisters. I use an ablative multiseason bottom paint that I reapply every couple of years. The first application was of 3 coats. 2 coats of black, 1 of blue. I then repaint when the black appears. Good luck!

Tod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.