Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-24-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Z-Spar Flagship Varnish and Ultimate Cabin Sole

Does anyone have any experince with Z-Spar Flagship Varnish. We have a teak toe rail and a few hatches. We also plan to use the Ultimate Cabin Sole suggest to me for the cockpit seats and floor, and the inside cabin floor, I guess its a gloss stlye looking varnish with a non-slip finish. I know I am opening up a can of work with this post but I have to ask.

http://www.ultimatesole.com/Scripts/...p?idproduct=25

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah Scott...works great but ONLY use a foam brush and NO sanding between coats or you will hacve a mess!! It will turn out fantastic if you just lay on a few coats slowly to keep the bubbles out.
After three years, I am about to do my floors again in the spring but I think it is awesome stuff!
Old 01-25-2007

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Are you replying about the z-spar or the ultimate cabin sole? and do you have it on a interior or exterior surface? should we skip the z-spar and use the ultimate sole product on all exterior teak? thanks

Last edited by 1970Columbia34; 01-25-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Do not use the Ultimate Sole on the exterior teak. It is not formulated for long lasting UV resistance. It's great inside, but it is not what you're looking for on the exterior.

If you asked that out of a relucatance to sand between coats, you may want to consider Epiphanes Wood Finish Gloss. It is very easy to apply and does not require sanding between coats. Although for the best finish you should lightly sand the last couple of coats.

Z-Spar is good varnish - you'll need to sand between coats of course.

Don't forget to thin your varnish first. In case you find it helpful, here is a link to how I varnished some of the exterior wood on my Triton: http://www.triton218.com/Projects/Varnishing.html. It was my first go at varnishing such a large quantity of wood, so it makes a decent beginners primer on varnshing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2007

What about the Ultimate Bright work finish, for the coclpit floors and seats.
http://216.204.68.29/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=40 says its still has good footing, and it a exterior finish anyone ever used it?
Old 01-25-2007

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Ultimate Sole works great... no input on their bright work finish I use Epaphanes. Z Spar is also good I just prefer the look of the Epaphanes.
Old 01-25-2007

we just need something for the cockpit floor that will not be super slippery when wet.
Old 01-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ultimate Sole is for down below and it works fantastic. They now have a UV stabilized version for exterior use:
"Ultimate Brightwork is our new exterior version of our High Gloss Finish. Formulated with minimal UV protection, it is intended for use in pilot houses or entrance ways that receive some sun. In direct sunlight exposure, do plan on re-coating at least once a season. The characteristics of this finish are intended to mimic the performance of the Ultimate Sole as far as footing and coloring. It will flow easily and you can easily do two coats in one day without sanding between coats. As clear in color and scale as our Ultimate Sole finish. Ships in an "F-Style" quart can with twist off top. Pour what you need in a paint pot and re-seal the can for longer shelf life."

Epiphanes is gonna be real slippery on a cockpit floor. I'd go with the UV ultimate and plan on re-doing it annually. Exactly what kind of cockpit sole do you have? Is it a teak grid or traditional planking. If a teak grid...I would also consider using 2 coats of Cetol + multiple coats of Cetol gloss as it will last longer and be easier to touch up than the Ultimate or Epiphanes.
Old 01-25-2007

will cetol be slippery when wet?
Old 01-25-2007

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Personnaly I would not varnish the cockpit floor or seats. We have a teak cockpit and natural is good. You get the most non skid from the teak and keeping it up is no big deal. Just to clarify.. Ultimate sole was used on the cabin sole, we used the epaphanes for brightwork above decks and inside the cabin on the bulkheads etc. again brightwork stuff.