SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

replacing in mast furling line

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a Z Spar furler on a 98 Beneteau 461 and I tried to replace the line on the weekend and could not manage remove the furling drum assembly from the mast.
I removed the 4 hex head bolts on the front and the 2 countersunk screws on the side. As I understand it the assembly should be free to withdraw from the mast at this point but using two screw drivers as pry bars at the bottom it will not budge, in fact I applied so much force I chipped the aluminum furler housing! Am I missing something??
If any one has done this procedure I would appreciate a heads up before I put a come-a-long on it, Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply Guys, I called Beneteau and was referred to the local dealer as they do not offer technical info any longer.
Brad from Grand Yachts in Sydney confirmed that I had done every thing correctly and it was probably corrosion holding it up etc. - and to try harder:)
So I removed the sail and all the bolts again and this time loaded up the furler line with the winch (four wraps) - still nothing.
So I got my two screw drivers behind the top casting gave it a mighty heave and..... POP!!
Thankfully the furling assembly stopped just short of the dodger window... and lying beside it was a severely bent 6mm Socket head cap screw that would fit perfectly in the tack shackle and was presumably dropped down the mast at some point in the past and managed to wedge it self behind the furler assembly and the mast.
All good now and off to the islands for the long weekend.
Thanks again for the input!

#5 ·
All good now and off to the islands for the long weekend.
Thanks again for the input!
We're off to Thetis later today.. enjoy the weekend - finally some good weather on the way!

#7 ·
It was a great weekend.. had to motor across the strait Friday evening, but a pleasant sail down island the next morning. Once through the pass today we had a great sail home.

Finally some sunshine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.