Sounder - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Sounder

Guys and Gals,

I need to replace my sounder. I believe the transducer is fine, just the display. So, that being said, the old one is a round Raymarine something or other in a 4" dia hole. Go figure. Any suggestions on a replacement? I see a gazillion 2" round cheapies on the market but I'm leaning toward the industrial strength models. Any idea? Si-Tex Vs RayMarine Vs ??.

Thanks!

Don
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Sounder

Hi Don,
You may try contacting DMI in Middleboro, Ma. They repair, replace the old Datamarine displays that I believe are 4" round among others.
Actually they may be able to repair/rebuild your unit. phone # 774 213 9744 check out their web site.

Luck to you,
Hugo
post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Don't eliminate the 2 inch "cheapies" out of hand. Norcross Hawkeye for example uses Airmar transducers, just like the expensive sailboat instruments use. And their displays have the same features at 25% of the price. For the price of a Raymarine depth instrument you can get a 5 inch GPS plotter with depth scanning capability. Makes no sense.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

As Airmar makes the majority of the transducers for most companies, it is quite possible you can keep the transducer you have and pick up an adapter to match the new unit's cable. This mostly has to do with the frequencies of both units, so you might want to do a bit of research and save yourself some work and money.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Just another Moderator

We have a recent Raymarine depth head working with a 25 yr old Signet transducer.. just had to cut the cable end off and terminate the wires appropriately.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Don't eliminate the 2 inch "cheapies" out of hand. Norcross Hawkeye for example uses Airmar transducers, just like the expensive sailboat instruments use. And their displays have the same features at 25% of the price. For the price of a Raymarine depth instrument you can get a 5 inch GPS plotter with depth scanning capability. Makes no sense.
Jim,

that has always been my stance, but I bought a 2" Hawkeye which failed after 5 years and replaced it with a Norcross which NEVER really worked well. The my "new" boat has a chart plotter so I don't want another something sitting on my pedestal. On the bulkhead there are three instrument displays, one of which is depth so I'd like to stay as "original" as possible. I hate changing things and despise drilling holes.

Last edited by Faster; 1 Week Ago at 12:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

[quote=DonScribner;3926298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Don't eliminate the 2 inch "cheapies" out of hand. Norcross Hawkeye for example uses Airmar transducers, just like the expensive sailboat instruments use. And their displays have the same features at 25% of the price. For the price of a Raymarine depth instrument you can get a 5 inch GPS plotter with depth scanning capability. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE

Jim,

that has always been my stance, but I bought a 2" Hawkeye which failed after 5 years and replaced it with a Norcross which NEVER really worked well. The my "new" boat has a chart plotter so I don't want another something sitting on my pedestal. On the bulkhead there are three instrument displays, one of which is depth so I'd like to stay as "original" as possible. I hate changing things and despise drilling holes.

I hear you. However at about $100, you can buy a couple for the price of one Raymarine. And if you want to retain the original location, Just mount the 2" display in the old round housing.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.