Paint Thinner - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Paint Thinner

My bottom paint is in pretty good shape, painted last year.

I have 1/2 a gallon of Pettit SR40 and I'd like to thin it a bit and put on a top coat. Can I use a less expensive thinner or do I have to buy the Pettit thinner at a million dollars a quart?

Thanks

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Paint Thinner

With the requirement of chem manufacturers to list the principal 'ingredients' (especially VOCs) on their labeling, you might want to imitate any such thinner mixture using the common chemicals from common sources. Those percents listed are by 'weight'.
You can also scrutinize the required MSDS on the manufacturers website and 'tech info' bulletins - for indications of the inclusion of 'proprietary' components.

Most non-water based bottom paints use Xylene as the principal component of their 'thinners'. VC17, and similar 'teflon' based paints, uses straight 100% acetone as its thinner.
I occassionaly use xylene from common sources for clean up, and to substitute or 'extend' the thinner from another boat paint manufacturer.
When I was actively racing, and applying the ablative 'top coat' with a polyethylene trowel for a babies' arse smooth top coat by 'filling in' the 'roller pimples' and the valleys between the roller pimples.... straight xylene (not xylene 'substutute') as the thinner.

The caveat here is don't 'thin' to a greater amount than what is clearly recommended by the paint manufacturer.

Last edited by RichH; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

20 yrs. ago when I did my first bottom job we used regular paint thinner with Pettit Trinadad red at the time the red had the highest copper count , the thinner sorry I don't remember any ingredients to it but it was just the regular stuff you got when you went to the hardware store . I seem to remember that it was very hot that day so we had to thin a little more . Did we ruin the paint job ? All I can say is it went on nice and stuck , it lasted over 3 yrs. too . The last bottom job I did was 2 yrs. ago , we used Z Spar B 90 and the recommended thinner half qt. to one gallon of paint already I can see some bare spots but not real bad . The only reserve I would have now a days is that thinner has been re formulated in my area and I am reluctant to use it in place of what the factory says to use .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 1 Week Ago at 11:34 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
░░░░░░░░░░

Rob-
"Thinner' is like "booze". It's all the same, scotch or gin or rye (or Everclear(G), they'll all get you drunk. Which one gives you the hangover, or the best flavor, is somewhat more debatable.
The problem with "thinner" is that it can be difficult to impossible to find out just what any one brand contains (xylene? acetone? toluene? heptane and butane? naptha? turpentine?) and if you don't use what the manufacturer of your paint calls for, there's a chance it will evaporate differently and need more experimentation to get it right.
In the long run...I agree with you, "Only our thinner works" is kinda extortion. But on the other side, given the cost of "coatings" and the amount of hard labor that can be involved in putting them on, even without stripping them and redoing the job, I'd just pay the extortion, unless I could be Real Damned Sure that the ingredients were identical. Or the job was such a low priority that I could afford to experiment and possibly need to re-do it.
Depends on how lucky you are. I used to say if you were lucky, go to Vegas, because they also serve free drinks. Apparently they clock the rubes now, and you don't automatically get free drinks anymore, so...stay home and gamble on the thinner?(G)
post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Just to follow up, I walked into the little chandlery in the yard where I winter. They had a dusty pint of Interlux thinner at a reasonable price. I read the label and the only ingredient I could find was Xylene so I took a shot.

I eyeballed about 3-4 ounces into what looked like a bit more than a third of a gallon. It thinned it more than I expected and the paint went on very watery but I ended up with just enough to do the keel and water line with a thin topcoat.

I still have to paint the rudder and have some left over of another color, it will be a colorful launch

Thanks for the help. In the end I guess Xylene was the word I was looking for.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Marine paint manufacturers price for xylene (xylol) ≈$US30.00/quart

Hardware/Paint store price ≈$US7.00/ quart

But you don't want 'substitute' Xylene or Xylol.

Don't mix in more than about 10% of xylene per gallon of bottom paint ≈13oz./US gallon, (≈15oz./Imp.Gallon)
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
al brazzi

I had a yard paint my bottom ONE time, they used the left overs from a bunch of cans laying around to finish that one coat. I paint until the can is empty and don't care to save that last bit. I don't mean to sound critical but what is gained by a few inches in the bottom of a can a year later. Two years ago I used two Gallons for my 30' Boat Im planning on three this year because we clean a lot for Thursday night racing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.