SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Zinc saver/recycler

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
My marina eats zincs fairly quickly (addressed in other threads). I get tired of throwing out partially used zincs.
I bought the SS (kitchen grade SS) strainer in the picture for $15. I plan to bend the handle to hook over my prop shaft, wire the zincs to the basket (so they don't fall out). I dive my own boat, so I can hang the basket on the shaft and remove it free diving in about 2 minutes. Of course, I will maintain the regular shaft zinc.
I'll also put a note on my ignition key, reminding me the basket is on the shaft!:eek
I'm curious how much this will extend the life of the shaft zinc, and how the basket holds up. I assume others have thought of this but I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd hazard a guess that you could also fairly easily (ha) buy a small stainless steel bowl and a propane torch, and slag down the pieces to cast new zincs directly. A bit more work, but if you did it once or twice a year...and of course, didn't inhale the zinc vapors...This is not rocket science.

#3 ·
Are you trying to make an electrical connection between the basket, old zincs and the shaft, for galvanic protection? Those need to be tight, clean connections or they fill with all sorts of marine junk and stop working. If you are also going to keep your normal shaft zinc, there is such thing as having too much anode. Maybe just find a place to recycle your old bits, but I'm pretty sure we just dig the stuff out of the ground, so I'm not sure we should be sensitive to putting it back.

#4 ·
Are you trying to make an electrical connection between the basket, old zincs and the shaft, for galvanic protection? Those need to be tight, clean connections or they fill with all sorts of marine junk and stop working. If you are also going to keep your normal shaft zinc, there is such thing as having too much anode.

I disagree, you CAN have too much protection. See http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/275193-overprotected.html

Maybe just find a place to recycle your old bits, but I'm pretty sure we just dig the stuff out of the ground, so I'm not sure we should be sensitive to putting it back.

Not a good argument. We pump oil out of the ground, that does not mean it is a good thing to pour it down the drain.
a

#5 ·
MastUnd...... please read my post again. You actually agree with me on overprotection.

As for the point about returning zinc to the ground, I wasn't trying to be so literal. Unlike crude, I said I was not sure there is an environmental issue with burying old zincs. Is there?

#7 ·
MastUnd...... please read my post again. You actually agree with me on overprotection.

Oops, sorry, you are right! I read it too fast.

As for the point about returning zinc to the ground, I wasn't trying to be so literal. Unlike crude, I said I was not sure there is an environmental issue with burying old zincs. Is there?

Honestly, I don't know. I do know that my marina requests to put old zincs in a special bucket, provided for this purpose, rather than throwing them in the trash. I suppose there is a reason for that but I don't really know.

But my main point was to say that the argument 'if it comes from the earth it is OK to put it back there' is not a good one.
a

#6 ·
The zincs on our saildrive did not always last from one haulout to the next. I solved the problem by hanging a block of zinc from a stainless eye bolt on the transom...the eye bolt is bonded to the engine block via a stainless cable routed inside the boat. This works very well and saves diving under the vessel when it's time to go sailing...the zinc is simply unhooked. This should work with your leftover zincs, but as previously pointed out, you would need to ensure that the pieces are bonding with the holding basket.

#11 ·
Diving in marinas can be dangerous. You never know when someone will drop a hair dryer in the water... zzzzztt. Maybe make a good electrical connection with the zincs, attach a wire, and throw over the side. Attach the other end of your wire to the bonding system.

#12 ·
OP does not give a location .... but please note it is downright stupid to dive in a fresh water marina (look up Electric Shock Drowning). Melting old zincs is more than likely a waste of time as they are contaminated and neither the metallurgy nor voltage potential is as original. Minnewaska also has it right that the electrical contact of a hanging basket will be insufficient.
...... Certified Corrosion Analyst.

#15 ·
Melting and recasting zinc or lead is easy. Fraught with problems like poisonous fumes. Hanging zinc must be electrically bonded to boat ground (may need shaft brush) and should be within a few feet of what's being protected. Walking through any decent shipyard can yield huge to you zincs off bigger boats. Even one ,properly drilled for bolted on wire could over zincify most little glass boats needs for years .Anybody who grew up in Sooke will remember Ed Pallister And Minnie (PalCo fishing gear) Ed was the brains and Minnie the worker supplying zincs and cannon balls to the fishing industry Minnie died of metallic fume injestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.