SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Boat - just buffed it.

759 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DonScribner 
#1 ·
Well, it's coming together. I guess I'd like to brag on my ability to see a diamond in the rough, or possibly reflect back on my ruffian days as a cigarette smoking, heavily accented, Jersey shore body shop guy named Vinny. I'll defer to dumb luck and a sore back. I bought a nice buffer, a bottle of commercial floor stripper, finishing compound and a few grits of wet-dry sand paper. I stripped and scrubbed, then scrubbed and strip. On the PINK boot stripe, I scrubbed with a ScotchBrite (easy guys . . . ) and stripper until white stopped coming off. Then I switched to 800 grit and plenty of water. Finally I went to 1500 grit. I didn't perfect the process until the 2nd side so I'll have to repeat this in the spring but for now she looks like a new boat.

First pic is of the sailboat formerly-known-as Yonder. I wanted to rename it Prince but the admiral thought I would get beat up . . . more often and for lesser reasons. The second pic shows the hull, partially buffed. You can see the line of demarcation. The next pic is Vinnie, hard at work. Then, the boat buffed to bring the red back out and a fresh coat of bottom paint with enough biocide to put even the most resilient Green Peace member into an emotionally induced coma. It's a pretty blue though.

The boat yard is about three hours away so heading down we have to load the truck down with everything that I would normally forget, not be able to find, or go out in disgust and just &^$@# buy another one. So far so good. Launch is on June 5. We are sailing her back on June 9th.

Life is an adventure. And Vinnie ain't gettin' no youngah!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.