SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anchor Riding Sail - Need Advice

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cal31Windchaser 
#1 ·
Made a real nice 5' luff, 7' foot anchor riding sail. Tried it out at anchor in about 10-15 mph winds. Sheeted it off to one side of boat. Seemed to hold boat steady, but then all of a sudden the boat would sail through the wind, back-winding the riding sail and slap it back and forth (noisy) until the boat swung back to its original position. My boat is a Cal31, light displacement.

Is this what a riding sail typically does? If not, what can I do to keep it from back-winding? I wonder if it would help to cleat the anchor rode to the opposite side of the boat the riding sail is connected to creating more of a turning moment to one side (I usually run the anchor rode through the bow roller, which centers it on the boat).

#3 ·
Although Sailrite says to sheet off to one side, you could be absolutely correct. I have noticed several boats at anchor that have it centered.

I didn't try centering it as the topping lift was in the way. Guess I could move the boom to one side or the other. However, I wonder if moving boom off center might increase the potential to swing.

Thanks

#4 ·
You wouldn't need to move the boom over too far to clear a center-sheeted riding sail..

We've tied it off around the boom itself. Worked well on a much more skittish boat in the Caribbean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.