Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-24-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Blister job....

Yesterday I cleaned up as much as I could stand of a 39'' Jeanneau blisteration. 90% gelcoat blisters with a couple actually going into the glass. I don''t believe we could actually stop the blistering without removing all the gelcoat. The bottom had been West Systemed and blister-filled about 4 years ago. So with dainty grinder and dremel tool we opened her up. I plan to (1) wash and scrub down and flush with acetone, (2)fill with the (white) hard West System filler, (3) sand and de-blush & acetone (4) fair with the sofer (reddish) West System filler (5) sand, de-blush and wipe down with acetone (6) paint first coat with the gray, 2-part epoxy barrier coat (Petit?) NOW, HERE, CAN I USE THE SOFTER WEST SYSTEM FILLER OVER THE BARRIER COAT?? It would make finding and filling the imperfections a lot easier. Then I''d wet sand the whole thing and put on 2 more barrier coats, sanding and acetoning in between, with a final wet sanding before putting on 2x bottom paint. No? Suggestions? I just make this stuff up as I go along, you know.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2001

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
Blister job....

What a job!
I''m not sure I understand the extent of the blistering. If it covers 90% of the hull the best approach would be to plane the entire hull,removing the gelcoat and affected glass matt. Then you need to let it dry over the winter, in the spring apply a barrer coat then gelcoat.
If I have misunderstood and it is not that bad, you are still need to dry out the affected areas. If you don''t you will be covering the problem and see it again very soon. The barrier coat should go on just before the gelcoat, then the bottom paint. Drying out the affected areas is THE most important part of the proceedure...
Good luck,JEFryar
Old 12-27-2001

Blister job....

The bottom was Wested a few years ago following at least one other blister job. It IS ugly. However, the barrier coat I''m using I''ve used before on smaller boats. It goes over the unfinished bottom, best with 3 coats, then complete with bottom paint. I don''t believe you''d - no, of course you wouldn''t - gelcoat over this stuff. It is a gray epoxy 2-part barrier coat. It would be best to dry this thing for at least 6 months, but that ain''t gonna happen. These are primarily gelcoat blisters that don''t appear as if they''ll ever stop coming without a complete peel. The glass doesn''t look like a big problem. I was just wondering if I could fair over the epoxy. It''s just an old fractional rig charterbeater that''ll just tick over 10 knots downwind - even with the golf-ball bottom we sailed on last year.....
Old 12-27-2001

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Blister job....

I obtained estimates for blister repair several years ago (about $5000 for 28ft) and was told that the cost would be double for either a Jeanneau or a Valiant because they both used bromine-containing fire-retardant resin requiring much deeper grinding.
Old 02-16-2002

aquafunk is on a distinguished road
Blister job....

Hi.
What did you end up doint with your blistering problem? Last Fall I finished a West System blister repair on my Capri 25. I painted with Petit Trinidad SC. Quite unfortunately it seems I made some prep errors as the Trinidad SC is flaking off in many places. Best guess is I didn''t work enough at getting the blush removed.
Old 02-21-2002

fishclan is on a distinguished road
Blister job....

VIEXILE
I would submit that any epoxy will stick to vinylester resin But I believe that the reverse would NOT bond correctly and you will have bad luck with your repair.
Old 02-21-2002

Blister job....

The repair came out fine, since I only used epoxy products. The problem overall is the gelcoat blisters, with few blisters actually extending into the glass. The bottom looks great. The problem now is, while I was in Maine last month, the "boys" took the boat out and raced in the BVI Sweethearts race and "discovered" Bull Rock between Thatch and Grass Key. At 7 knots. Everything from ruptured stringers to spidering forward of the keel. No water, but $12K repair quote. Ahhh, botes....dem boys dem....