SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Name Size

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting our boat name made up and wondering how tall the letters should be for the name? and home port? Any Ideas? Thanks.

About our boat name we have decided to call our boat Amorita II. We got the name from a 100 sailboat my great grandfather sailed on in the 1911 Chicago To Machinaw Race. The won the race with a Time of 31 Hours and 14min. They held the record for the fastest time up until 1987. They won the race by have 80mph+ plus winds. That year 4 of the 11 boats entered in the race either quit or ran ashore.

I hope sailing runs in the family....

#2 ·
If Coast Guard docutmented the name must be at least 4" letters while the home port must be 3". I don't know if Michigan has any regulations on the matter, but if they did would expect that would have to equal the USCG ones.

#3 ·
Assuming you have more than enough room to do the name 4" high...you should try to use most of the transom width and then maintain the 4:3 ratio between name and home port below. The boatus.com site has a nice interactive application that lets you see what it would look like with different type styles, curves, shading etc....did ours using this and I was happy with the results:

#7 ·
We used high quality vinyl graphics on our boat. The graphic designer was able to the artwork and show us on his computer with a model what
Our finished product would look like. We changed it and tweaked it until we got what we wanted in the price range we wanted.

You should be able to do the same; we worked with somebody out of St. Claire Shores.

A lot of people nowadays; especially the boats with the swim platforms, are opting to place the name on either side of the hull near the stern, the size is as big as you're freeboard allows.

Than a smaller one is placed somewhere on the transom along with the homeport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.