4Likes
  • 1 Post By davidpm
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By fallard
  • 1 Post By ccriders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Back Stay Warning

My rigger called me today about something he found last week.

http://c320.org/article.php/20050312124048383

Some of you may have a Questus style backstay mounted radar antenna.

Apparently, the weight of the assembly caused the backstay to pump and it caused it to rub against something and the result is in the attached picture.

He then did a quick run through a few boats at the marina and between this kind of mount and people tieing the bimini hoops to the backstay when the bimini is off he found five more boats with damage to the backstay.

I'm sure most of you know, but just to be clear any damage even one strand broken or deformed is not acceptable on any standing rigging or lifeline. The backstay and forestay are especially important as you only have one of each.
Attached Thumbnails
3503.jpg  
Lazerbrains likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Last edited by davidpm; 6 Days Ago at 07:15 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (6 Days Ago), T37Chef (6 Days Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: Back Stay Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
.......The backstay and forestay are especially important as you only have one of each.
Not always true. We have two backstays that run independently from the mast to each side of the transom. If we install the inner forestay, we technically have two of those as well. Still, your point is well taken.

I've never liked stuff attached to rigging. I'm so tempted to clamp a small cleat to my shrouds. On one side it would easily secure the rigging for a radar reflector that I hang from the lower spreader and it would help with the flag halyard on the other. They make them just for the purpose. I think I would end up taking them off all the time to see if it was damaging the rigging. Currently, I just tie a rolling hitch around the shroud.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
My rigger called me today about something he found last week.

http://c320.org/article.php/20050312124048383

Some of you may have a Questus style backstay mounted radar antenna.

Apparently, the weight of the assembly caused the backstay to pump and it caused it to rub against something and the result is in the attached picture.

He then did a quick run through a few boats at the marina and between this kind of mount and people tieing the bimini hoops to the backstay when the bimini is off he found five more boats with damage to the backstay.

I'm sure most of you know, but just to be clear any damage even one strand broken or deformed is not acceptable on any standing rigging or lifeline. The backstay and forestay are especially important as you only have one of each.
We've had our Questus-mounted radar for 19 years without any significant issues, but our standing rigging is Navtec rod. During that time we've stored the boat with the mast up over the winter every year but one.

This post, however, has reminded me to check the grommets where the wiring passes through the pole. These black rubber grommets tend to deteriorate in the sun and need to be periodically replaced, lest the wiring be damaged by chafing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4001.jpg  
davidpm likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 5 Days Ago

While the idea of self leveling is valid, after several decades of deliveries I would say that for most (but certainly not all) sailors it adds unneeded complication. Sort of like the old adage about "a solution looking for a problem". That's not totally true, but still...

When we are rolling around in the typical summer swells the boat seldom rolls further than the number of degrees on the beam can read on successive passes. And then, and more relevantly, we are on the ocean in the calmer summer season, where a long swell of 2 or 3 feet with a cross sea of 3 to 5 from surface winds is the norm.

If making a multi day passage, with a lot of time heeled down, I would likely have a way different take on the situation.

The comment about clamping anything to a shroud is a good one, too. I have a tubular radar reflector up high, and go up there every other season to check on the seizing wire and the condition of the shroud.

That rigging picture is scary.
Real Glad we have a stern post for our radar mount.

Good luck on the repair.
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Days Ago

Davidpm is exactly right. My boat came with a topping lift pig tail clamped to the rear stay. When I took it off, I found three broken strands of wire. Now I don't clamp anything to a shroud or a stay.
seabeau likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.