Dumb Furler Question... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Dumb Furler Question...

Hello,

Im new to the sailing world, and last year my boat was only rigged up so that I could use the main sail (the guy couldn't find the furler when rigging) so I had no head sail.

I have since located the furler drum and realized that there is no swivel. Nothing was at the top of the forestay or in the box of parts...

The dumb question: Do all furlers require a top swivel to work indefinitely? If it matters, its a Schafer 600 furler.

Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: Dumb Furler Question...

It depends on the furler. Some, such as my Alado, has it's own halyard and no swivel at the top of the sheaves.

Some jib sails have a cable built in that the sail is raised on and the drum attaches to something other than the forestay, usually a deck pad eye.

Just need more information in order to provide the help you need. Make and model of the drum would be beneficial if you can find it.

Good luck,

Gary
post #3 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago

Never seen a furler without a swivel. Not sure how that could work. The swivel is needed to allow the sail to wrap around the forestay without wrapping the halyard around the forestay.

post #4 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago

No such thing as a dumb question if you don't know the answer to something but googling up Schaefer would have taken you to this site.
https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-p.../furler-parts/
They don't list a 600 but that doesn't mean they dont have parts for what you have. And yes you must have an upper swivel assembly. Contact them and I'm sure they'll help.
post #5 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRye View Post
Hello,

Im new to the sailing world, and last year my boat was only rigged up so that I could use the main sail (the guy couldn't find the furler when rigging) so I had no head sail.

I have since located the furler drum and realized that there is no swivel. Nothing was at the top of the forestay or in the box of parts...

The dumb question: Do all furlers require a top swivel to work indefinitely? If it matters, its a Schafer 600 furler.

Thanks
What size of boat is this?

Does the jib have a wire sewn into the luff? Or is there a tape on the luff that looks like it should slide into a groove?

I don't know what a Schaeffer 600 is. They used to make a free flying furler for smaller boats Maybe still do, but I think it is a 650. Best to send them a picture of the drum and ask for documentation and availability of spare parts.
post #6 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

Loki9, take a look at the Alado Furler video - no swivel at the top - different system setup and does not use the boat's halyard, which is why it is not needed. I've been using an Alado for nearly 10 years now and love it.

https://vimeo.com/4847741

When I first got my Morgan it had an old jib with a cable sewn in and the drum attached to an eye at the back end of the anchor chock while a swivel attached to the halyard that was then attached to the top end of the jib cable. Basically, it was a piece of crap that was always binding. I replaced it a week later with the Alado.

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 5 Days Ago at 09:19 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

The Alado is interesting, I had not seen one like that before. The downside is that you can't get a lot of luff tension on you jib, but for small boats I guess that is not a problem.
post #8 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

Actually, my luff is as tight as a banjo string. It all depends upon how you set up the internal halyard.

Gary
post #9 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRye View Post
Hello,

Thanks
Do you have a foil (a slotted extrusion over the length of the forestay)? There are some hank-on furling setups but they don't work well.

I'd expect the Schaeffer to have a foil and a drum at a minimum (if it uses a contained halyard like Alado) and if the halyard is on the mast, then it definitely needs a halyard swivel.

If you've only just found the drum, perhaps there are many more missing parts. btw pics would help a lot.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd expect the Schaeffer to have a foil and a drum at a minimum
I now see that Davey is same guy that was asking about an outboard for Mirage 26.

Not having heard of a Schaeffer 600, I was thinking it might be the type with separate drum and swivel and wire sewn into the luff that would be installed behind the forestay. It could be, otherwise not sure how he could have mast up and only just have found the drum! Any foils would need the drum to support them and he did not mention foils.

Anyway, he needs to get back with more info and pics.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.