Standing Rigging Too Old? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Member
 
Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Andover, MA
Posts: 641
Thanks: 15
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
I know this is four years after the fact, but that was a nice link Camaraderie
Slayer is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Member
 
overbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Posts: 1,260
Thanks: 1
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is electropolishing of stainless hardware. I read up on it and then talked to a local shop that does it. After that I had my chainplates, keel fastenings, lifeline stanchions etc. all electropolished.

The process uses electric current in a nitric acid bath - a little bit like the electroplating process in that regard. The process removes all the free iron molecules from the surface of the metal down to .001" - 0015". This leaves a pure surface of chromium, nickel or whatever alloy is used with the steel to make it stainless.

By removing the free iron molecules, there is no "path" for oxidation to gain entry to the metal, hence no place for crevice corrosion to get a foothold.

Obviously this surface must be maintained free of deep scratches and so forth or it must be re-done afterwards but it has worked very well for me so far - out in the salt air and weather for several years and still looks the the day I installed it - not a hint of discolouration or brown staining.

I can't recall for sure how much it cost but it wasn't much - something like $175 for all the rigging along with the keel fasteners and backers IIRC.

I highly recommend it.
electropolishing in it self does not prevevt the corrosion of the iron. the follow up process to the electropolishing called passivation is the process of using nitric or citrus acid to remove the free iron from the surface. electropolishing removes a layer of all the metals in the stainless alloy the same as cutting, grinding or machining and so the iron expossed to the surface will oxidize if it is not passivated before being expossed to moisture. stainless does not have to be electropolished before passivation and the passivation process can be done by it self at much less cost.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
overbored is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #63 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,610
Thanks: 60
Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
electropolishing in it self does not prevevt the corrosion of the iron. the follow up process to the electropolishing called passivation is the process of using nitric or citrus acid to remove the free iron from the surface. electropolishing removes a layer of all the metals in the stainless alloy the same as cutting, grinding or machining and so the iron expossed to the surface will oxidize if it is not passivated before being expossed to moisture. stainless does not have to be electropolished before passivation and the passivation process can be done by it self at much less cost.
Everything I read as well as what I was told by the people in the shop that did it says that electropolishing and passivation are basically the same thing - electropolishing is the process, passivation is the result.

If, as you say, they are different processes, how is electropolishing performed?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #64 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Member
 
mitiempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
As far as I know electropolishing and passivation are the same, as SloopJonB posted.

Here's a link explaining the process.
ELECTROPOLISHING PROCESS

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
mitiempo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #65 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,296
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
You can do passivation in place after a repiar that would cause problems BUT the acid is life and death stuff

The spotless stainless is the consumer grade passivation

And when it is all said and done i still see crevice issues happen over time in the welds of UV chambers that were done to very high standards and had nothing inside but really pure water

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #66 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Junior Member
 
halatencio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I just bought a 1975 Ericson. I have no idea when the rigging was last replaced. But since I only sail in a lake I thought I could just wait and see. The boat in the next slip owned by a friend is a 1976. I think it is a hunter. It's owner had the port shrouds shortened as they had streatched over the years. A week later, in a race, the upper shroud snapped. I helped him replace both port shrounds with new cable. It cost $67 for both cables and the swagging. I went up in a climbing harness tied to the main halyard and replaced first the broken shroud and then after securing that cable, the lower shroud. I thought he should replace the starboard side at the same time, but since they had not been shortened he chose to pass. The cost was not very high. It is making me think about replacing at least my shrouds and fore and aft stays.
halatencio is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #67 of 80 Old 10-10-2011
Senior Member
 
overbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Posts: 1,260
Thanks: 1
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
As far as I know electropolishing and passivation are the same, as SloopJonB posted.

Here's a link explaining the process.
ELECTROPOLISHING PROCESS
that looks like their interpretation of what electropolishing is and it is close but not entirely correct. there are many specific specs for electropolishing of stainless. the most common is where the material is cleaned in a solvent, electropolished and then passivated. electropolishing and passivation are not the same thing. here are the guys I send parts to every week Processes at Alloy Tech Electropolishing
the parts that ! manufacture are mostly Type 316L and 304 finished to a 15RA surface roughness and they always do a passivation after electropolishing

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 10-11-2011 at 12:20 AM.
overbored is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #68 of 80 Old 10-11-2011
Senior Member
 
overbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Posts: 1,260
Thanks: 1
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
You can do passivation in place after a repiar that would cause problems BUT the acid is life and death stuff

The spotless stainless is the consumer grade passivation

And when it is all said and done i still see crevice issues happen over time in the welds of UV chambers that were done to very high standards and had nothing inside but really pure water
clean pure H2O is very corrosive and will corrode stainless much faster then tap water. When water is purified all the minerals are removed and this make the water chemicaly more active and will draw minerals from the stainless components in which it is contained. you will see the corrosion start right next to the welds in what is called the heat effected zone. it is where the metal has become heated to around 1500 degree f. which change the grain structure and makes it corrode faster.

Spotless stainless is made up of nitric and citrus acid.. they are the same acids that the pros use but in less concentration. so they need to left on the surface longer but will do the same job if the metal is clean so the aicd can get to the surface and dissolve the free iron

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 10-11-2011 at 12:17 AM.
overbored is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #69 of 80 Old 10-11-2011
Senior Member
 
casey1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HI
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 20
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is electropolishing of stainless hardware. I read up on it and then talked to a local shop that does it. After that I had my chainplates, keel fastenings, lifeline stanchions etc. all electropolished.

The process uses electric current in a nitric acid bath - a little bit like the electroplating process in that regard. The process removes all the free iron molecules from the surface of the metal down to .001" - 0015". This leaves a pure surface of chromium, nickel or whatever alloy is used with the steel to make it stainless.

By removing the free iron molecules, there is no "path" for oxidation to gain entry to the metal, hence no place for crevice corrosion to get a foothold.

Obviously this surface must be maintained free of deep scratches and so forth or it must be re-done afterwards but it has worked very well for me so far - out in the salt air and weather for several years and still looks the the day I installed it - not a hint of discolouration or brown staining.

I can't recall for sure how much it cost but it wasn't much - something like $175 for all the rigging along with the keel fasteners and backers IIRC.

I highly recommend it.
Is this somthing that you did to new or old stainless hardware? Would somthing like spotless stainless work just as well?
casey1999 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #70 of 80 Old 10-11-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,610
Thanks: 60
Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Is this somthing that you did to new or old stainless hardware? Would somthing like spotless stainless work just as well?
Both. I have no knowledge of Spotless Stainless - this thread is the first I have heard of it.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing Rigging Basics Mark Matthews Racing Articles 0 08-29-2004 08:00 PM
Standing Rigging Cal 33 dshearn Gear & Maintenance 2 07-18-2004 06:42 AM
Replacing Your Standing Rigging Mark Matthews Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 12-15-2002 07:00 PM
Standing Rigging Storage Jerry Hammill Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 10-15-2001 08:00 PM
Replacing Standing Rigging Mark Matthews Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 12-22-2000 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome