SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Windows

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dailymirror 
#1 ·
Hi we have 6 portals on boat that open. The plastic is old and scratched making them hard to see out of. Is there a reason we can't replace them with tempered glass

#2 · (Edited)
Not really.. assuming you can actually remove the old lenses without damaging the original frames. And that may be a big assumption.

Do you know the original make? Bomar, Lewmar, Beckson are a few of the common ones.

btw.. I've moved your post to a more appopriate forum. (the Sailnet Tech support forum is for actual forum glitches etc)

#3 ·
Why would you want tempered glass? Are you planning on rounding Cape Horn anytime soon? Regular plexiglass should do nicely, last a goodly number of years, and be much easier to work with.

#4 ·
You would want laminated safety glass, not tempered glass. Tempered glass will break into many tiny pieces. The laminated safety glass (like used in car windshields) cracks but stays in one piece. Many years ago something hit the fixed window on my Pearson 26 and it cracked. Turned out it was laminated safety glass, not plastic like I had always assumed.

I would go with plastic.

#8 ·
Let us know how it works out for you. No, it won't hurt anything if they're already opaque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.