Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-07-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
Red face Reflective Paint on Topsides??

Hello all-- my first post so please bear with me! We're hauling out our 44' Kelly-Peterson next week with the plan of painting bottom and topsides. I'm the artist so I'm in charge of the topsides decisions. The boat is now white gelcoat, and I really really don't like white--I like color. So I was considering a kind of blue-gray-green color (Kirby Paints C Green). My first concern is that, safety-wise, our boat may end up blending too well with the ocean, and therefore not be as safe in a rescue situation or even in a marina with lots of power boats whizzing around. We have considered adding glass reflective beads to the paint-- has anyone done this? Also considering painting the boat a much lighter blue (Kirby Paints #19 Blue --(anyone used Kirby Paints before??)), thinking that would be safer and not involve the reflective bead thing, which could get complicated, in some as yet unforseen way. And I guess the third option is to get over my aversion/boredom with white, and just leave it the way it is. I should add that high polish and shine are not what I'm going for-- I like the dull finish of an old rowboat, really. So safety and a (to me) cool color are what I'd go for, over all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Unless you're primarily sailing in the higher latitudes, I would stick with white, as colors absorb heat. Perhaps you could paint the vertical sides of the cabintop in some light color, thereby breaking up the all white look.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2007

Not an idea I'd thought of--thanks~
Old 02-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anything but a nearly white deck is going to heat up alot... darker colors can heat up enough to cause problems with the laminate in some cases. If you want to have some color... then painting the topsides and the hull a color may make much more sense. If you paint the bottom of the boat safety orange or bright red... in the case of a capsize, you'll be far more easily seen.

Reflective paint can back fire... as it can cause glare at night and make it harder for you to see things. It can also confuse other boaters as to exactly what they're seeing... so might not be such a good idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-07-2007

Bristol324DD is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey SusySailor--I've used Kirby Paints for over 50 years--good stuff cheap! But, no offense, I've used their stuff when I was a kid and couldn't afford yacht paint (Woosley) or needed a cheap copper paint on the bottom of my quahoag skiff. If you're repainting a $100k boat, why not spring for Awlgrip or Interlux's Perfection? At $50 a gallon, Kriby's cheaper than a quart of the good stuff--and you get what you pay for! If I had a old wooden hull that had to be redone yearly--sure,why not--but if I want a refinishing that will last ten years--go for the good stuff!!

Why not buff up the gelcoat, add a second line to the boot-top and then add a cove stripe or paint what would be the walestrake in a bright color?

bill
Old 02-07-2007

ummm... boot top, cove stripe, walestrake? We've only been sailing a few years-- guess I've been too busy practicing knots to learn these words. I know the general area (where the single stripe is now?) and I googled them, but no luck. Can you draw me a picture? (kidding, but in a serious way- no smiley for that)
Old 02-07-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Stripe at/near the waterline, stripe beneath the rub rail. Not sure what he means by walestrake, but would guess that is about halfway between the other two.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-07-2007

~~~Thanks!
Old 02-07-2007

Bristol324DD is an unknown quantity at this point
Strakes are planks on wooden boats; and the walestrake is a thicker plank running as John mentioned below the rubrail to which the chain plates were attached....OK, so I'm the ancient mariner--point being, you could buff up the gelcoat if it is in good condition and add color at the waterline and the rail!

Just painting over a good, intact, non-scratched or oxidized gelcoat for the color of it with really cheap paint may make more work and effort in the long run. If the white doesn't work, use Awlgrip or Perfection (spray or brush--the lighter the color the easier it is to brush). Or use an eyecatching trim.....where did you find the Kirby's--New Bedford??

bill
Old 02-07-2007

I found Kirby's online-- I like their variety of color choices. They're great with customer service as well. Am I allowed to use their paint for the stripes?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.