Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-07-2007
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
mounts for kayak

Looking for suggestions in how to carry a kayak safely. I've seen some kayak carried in fittings that seem to hang off of stantions. Looks like an effective and efficient way to store and carry a kayak, but is it safe for passage making ? Have only found one supplier yet. Found them on EBay using this search string: SS KAYAK RACKS MOUNT TO SAILBOAT STANCHIONS

Any other thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Garhauer makes some, but I think they also attach to the stanchions. Anyway, worth checking into at http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=58

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't recommend mounting a kayak along the lifeline stanchions. A wave hitting it could tear the stanchions and kayak from the deck... and possibly leave a big hole behind as well...not a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2007
leave blank

This was my concern as well, but do you have any first hand experience that leads you to this view, or is it just based on general conservatism.

My basic issue still remains unanswered, is there anyway to carry a kayak on a boat or behind a boat that will not lead to "big hole " scenarios. I really like the idea of having a secondary way to get off the big boat. So a kayak in my mind remains a good alternative to the dingy but I would just like to figure out a safe way to transport it as well.
Old 02-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've seen a few boats come in missing stanchions or having them bent over 60˚ or so... and asked what happened.... in one case it was a surfboard, in one it was a liferaft canister, in the other two it was kayaks...

A cubic foot of seawater weighs 64 lbs. What is the surface area of the kayak? 20 sq. ft. or so... maybe more...what kind of stress do you think the stanchions are rated for... 20 * 64 = 1280 lbs... x 15 mph... hmm... not good...

On one boat, they actually were very lucky, since the stanchions were tied into the hull-deck join, and they had about six feet of the hull-deck join rip open... fortunately, the bilge pumps were able to keep up with the leaks through the tear in the join... If all three stanchions on that boat had gone, they would have had a 12' long rip in the hull deck join...

Having the kayak strapped down to the deck upside down will present the least windage and be the least likely to allow it to tear from the deck. However, if you're on a smaller boat, this isn't going to be an option. But seeing as you're on a 40' LRC, you should be okay... with a smaller kayak at least.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2007
sv Blue Dolphin

roborider is on a distinguished road
We have stantion mounts for 2 kayaks and I have the same concern...ripping away stantions and other damage. Besides I see this as a way to entangle lines especially the jib and staysail. I'm looking for a way to secure them on the foredeck that will keep them out of the way yet easy to use.

Robert
SV Blue Dolphin
58' Roberts Custom Ketch
Old 02-08-2007
leave blank

Thanks for your input. I will dwell on the matter for a few months. I have until late April to figure this all out.
Old 02-08-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Escapade,
we carried around a kayac all summer inbetween the shrouds and the cabin worked pretty well. kept it out of the way of the jib sheets and cars. only bad part was it blocked light from the ports. and you have to be more carefull with the lazy sheet. its a 12 foot sit on top.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 02-08-2007
leave blank

SS - nice name, where is your boat based ?

I don't have the kayak yet. Just pondering ideas. While my boat is in the Virgins area, I was thinking that the outside the rail mounts might be fine, but then when I eventually go on passage to head south I should look for a way to mount on deck. One problem that I see with where you had yours secured would be trying to access the foredeck/anchor locker and windless in a hurry.
Old 02-08-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Although it's an expensive alternative, have you considered a folding kayak?