SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing Chainplates (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/28957-replacing-chainplates.html)

FullandBy 02-09-2007 01:27 PM

Replacing Chainplates

Well I'm a new proud owner of a Cooper 416. I actually bought her a couple of months ago but have only started working on her in earnest this past week. Weather here in Vancouver has been bloody miserable for the last couple of months so I went away on vacation.

I used to be called MVSunstar on these boards when I was a sailing wannabe, but now that I am I've changed my name and retired the old one.

So on to the real question at hand. My Cooper is over 30 years old and there are signs of some deck delam around the chainplates and some moisture intrusion below decks near the chainplates. The surveyor recommended that I at the very least inspect them. The big problem is that they are completely encased in fibreglass and not bolted through.

So one of my first stupid questions. My mast is stepped on the keel, is it safe to unattach one chainplate at a time to work on it? I basically need to dig out the cold chainplates and replace them all and fiberglass them all in again. A big job.

Cheers

Tartan34C 02-09-2007 01:53 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnít your boat have three chainplates on each side? If thatís true and the mast is on the keel you will not have any problem reworking one chainplate on each side at the same time.

I doubt your chainplates are just glassed in. Under the glass I am sure you will find bolts. Some small boats have plates glassed in but all the larger boats I know of are bolted.
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer

FullandBy 02-09-2007 02:32 PM

Ya I kind of figured there would be no problem taking one off at a time and yep there are three per side. But just to be on the safe side - the last thing I need is to lose my mast in the yard. I almost lost my boat in the yard last month while I was away on vacation. The genoa broke lose in some hurricane force winds and was threatening to pull the boat over and all those next to me in a very large game of dominoes. The boatyard had to put the haulout machine with the slings on her for a day or two until the winds died down.

As for the chainplates, they really looked like they are just glassed in. There is certainly no bolt going through the hull. However, there maybe bolts going crosswise over the chainplates but are just covered in glass. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks

Loewe 02-09-2007 04:13 PM

Fullandby, it is a monster job but maybe a necessary one for safety reasons. I was on an IP link/site on repairs of this sort. The one I viewed used x-rays to determine chainplate condition then went from there. Think I was jsut surfing looking at chainplates. There is nothing cheap or easy about it. Like everything else with boats if you have the M&M's it's doable (money & motivation) ;) Good luck

Regards,
Red