Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2007

superdave is on a distinguished road
The best line to buy

I have a 23' Coronado that will need all running rigging replaced. I have no idea how much line I will need, but I think it would be best to buy in whatever bulk sizes make the purchase cheapest (per foot, that is; I don't mind having a lot of extra line). It appears that the entire boat is rigged with the same line - it seems to be about 3/8" diameter, white, very soft, very little stretch, and a very tight braid (I can't remember the term, but it's not the three-braid). I like it a lot, and would probably be fine with the same type.

I was hoping someone could make my decision easy... does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of rope to buy, and where I can find the best deal on a bulk amount? I don't mind calculating all the lengths myself, and will probably double that amount once calculated...

If you can think of anything else I'm too green to consider, please bring it up! And thanks in advance for all of the great help everyone brings!

-Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'd call cajun-trading.ca, good folks, great prices.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...llpartial/75/0
The above is for sta-set braid which is a good general putpose braid. If you want a softer line for your sheets, the Regatta braid is a bit more expensive but easy on the hands. You're not gonna get any big discount for the amounts you need for a Coronado...so you might as well get the right line for halyards and the right line for sheets. The above assumes you are not engaged in racing and simply want good general purpose lines.
Old 02-09-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I just replaced all the running rigging on my Beneteau 285. I bought lines from Defender - came out significantly cheaper than at West marine. Here is what I've got:

SAMSON TROPHY COLOR 7/16" for jib sheets and mainsheet (and boom vang)
SAMSON LST YACHT BRAID 5/16" for outhaul/reef lines
SAMSON XLS SLD YACHTBRAID 5/16" for halyards
SAMSON TROPHY WHITE 1/4" for topping lift

I think the total was about $300 for all the lines. Same at WM would be twice as much or more.

Your choices may vary - I essentially bought the same size as the one I had previously.

To measure the halyards and outhaul and such, I took some nylon twine (or whatever you call it), tied it to the lines and pulled it through, then tied off. It also acted as a lead line to pull through the new rigging. One thing I am glad I've done is doubling up on lead lines for halyards - they get pretty heavey 35 feet up there, and also if one gets stuck, you can use another one - saving a trip up the mast.
Old 02-09-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Waste Marine -- err, I mean West Marine is having a sale on line right now. Check their website. But as someone else pointed out, still check Defender to compare prices.

Also check e-Bay. Here is one outfit that sells there. Their selection can be erratic, but if you aren't in a hurry you may find what you want. http://stores.ebay.com/Buy-Rope-Now_...Q3amesstQQtZkm

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.