Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-11-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb DC power through shorepower

I want to burn DC lights and radios while in port, but wish to spare the amps in my batts. I do have shorepower.

I could link my DC system to my shore power via a battery charger or transformer.

Simplest would be to just plug a battery charger into the AC recepticle and plug the DC end into the cigarette lighter. More involved solution would be to hardwire a transformer in between the AC panel and a battery switch.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I have mine set up so that my charger is connected not to the batteries themselves, but to the common lead from my selector switch. This means the charger is running the DC system when I'm plugged into shorepower.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2007

PB,

I have an available terminal on an extra BATT SW that, I suppose, I could do something similar as you did.

Here's my config (inherited ):
MAIN BATT Switch:
pos1 to Battery #1
pos2 to the 2nd BATT SW
2nd BATT Switch:
pos1 to Battery #2
pos2 to nothing
I leave the MAIN BATT Switch on "Both" to pull from both batts so long as 2nd BATT SW is in "pos1" or "both".

I think that I could just hook in a Battery Charger to the pos2 of the 2nd BATT SW and treat it as a 3rd Battery.

HERE IS MY CONCERN.
If I were to position the above switches so that my batteries were isolated (not in the system) would the battery charger sense a "dead battery" and put out a harmful amount of current? Am I gonna blow CB's?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-11-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Matt, I'd be reluctant to use a common charger as a DC power supply (with no batteries involved) only because they may run higher voltage than your DC devices really want to see.

On the other hand, how smart is your charger? If you have a charger which is going to put out less than 1/10th of the rated capacity of your batteries, they can pretty much float on that forever without being used. In which case, I'd leave that charger running and let the DC devices run from that battery while it was being charged. Odds are the charger will supply all loads and the batteries will never notice a thing.

"Odds" depending on things like how smart the charger is, of course.

If you don't plan to do anything with battery switch #2, I'd disconnect it and move the 2nd battery bank over to switch #1, position #2. Just in the spirit of cleaning stuff up.
Old 02-11-2007

How smart is my charger?

HelloSailor,
I have my eyes some chargers. I'd like to install one permanently so that I easily flip a switch or two and power-up my DC for those work days on the boat where I have the radio going all day long and lights at night.
So far, the reviews on the "Guest" products a West Marine are pretty sorry.

I was hoping not to spend $300+ on a charge for this either.

Good point with the clean-up of the second BATT SW. But right now it all works (bird in hand?). One of the last owners put the switch in and conected it to a DC outlet, and I kept in there in case it came in handy to add something else later . . . maybe a battery charger?

-Shack
Old 02-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Shack-

My setup is the same or pretty close to the way that PBzeer has his setup. The batteries act to level out the voltage changes from the charger quite a bit... and also having them connected this way is a good way to top off the batteries, which is usually not done as often as it should be.

I'd avoid setting up the charger as the "third" battery. It adds unnecessary complexity to your electrical setup, and really doesn't add value to it IMHO. I'd also agree with Hellosailor about simplifying your electrical system as much as possible... the more you have there...the harder it is to trouble shoot.

BTW, I'd go with Xantrex, which is a much better design than the Guest chargers are IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-11-2007

Sounds good.

Thanks Dog and all else,
This is the one thing I like about this forum. Its almost like sitting at the pub or tiki bar. All I need is a Guinness . . .

. . . that is easily being rectified.

Thanks again,
Shack
Old 02-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Sorry... just to ask a stupid newbie question (as I'm learning)... is this statement correct? When hooked to shore power, you are still powering your DC appliances and other DC devices using the batteries, while your charger is charging the batteries using the AC charger.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-11-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
labatt - depends on how you have the charger wired into the system. To expand a bit further on mine, I'm running a 20 amp Truecharge charger (smart charger). The lead goes to a fuse block, then a terminal to which the common (both) from the battery switch is connected, as well as the windlass, distribution panel, and starter motor leads.

In this configuration, the charger "senses" the load when using DC power and supplies the needed amps. This means that even in the OFF position on the battery switch, my DC is still "hot". It's important to remember that when working on the DC, as the charger must be turned off, not just the batteries (at switch or by disconnecting). Hope that gives you a clearer picture.

Shack - check on sailnet, Defenders or Jack Rabbit for a charger. West is the last place to buy something of that nature, pricewise.

http://www.defender.com/
http://www.jrenergy.com/(m1h0ms55g15...)/default.aspx

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
Sorry... just to ask a stupid newbie question (as I'm learning)... is this statement correct? When hooked to shore power, you are still powering your DC appliances and other DC devices using the batteries, while your charger is charging the batteries using the AC charger.
Technically, if the shorepower is live, then no, I'm not running the DC appliances off of the batteries... I am running them off of the charger, which is also charging the batteries while I am doing it.

However, this is only true until I get the electrical load on my DC-system up to 20 amps, at which point, I am using more juice than the charger can provide, and will be drawing on both my batteries—to supply the current in excess of 20 amps, and the charger...and my batteries will no longer be charging at that point. I've never reached that point, as my electrical needs are relatively light...and I've gone to mostly LED-based lights, and use other measures to minimize my electrical loads.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.