Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-30-2001

kikisteve is on a distinguished road
Boom Vangs

I have a 40'' sloop which I single hand long distances. I do not have a boom vang and am considering adding one as well as a Dutchman Boom Brake.

The main reason for adding the vang and boom brake is to eliminate the need for a preventer and a topping lift. This will make shortening sail easier as well as eliminate the need to go forward to rig or unrig the preventer (always at awkward moments when alone).

I am confused about whether or not I need both units, and which of the vangs are best. Any comments pro or con on the Dutchman would also be appreciated. Alternatives?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2001

Snap is on a distinguished road
Boom Vangs

I assume you want to add a solid vang since you mention ridding your boat of the topping lift. I had Garhauer make one for my 40'' Hinckley sloop. I have a rather long boom (18''6") and a short length from house to gooseneck which made for a small support triangle for the boom and so I needed a larger vang than Garhauer normally sells for my size boat. They were very happy to make one up for me using the boom and mast fittings I supplied; works like a dream. If you add the Dutchman Boom Brake or any other device to slow and/or control the boom in an accidental jibe you shouldn''t need a preventer also. I, too, am looking to add a boom brake of some sort soon. I haven''t had experience with other solid vangs so I can''t say that mine is "best" - just reliable and easy to use. A friend rigged a hydraulic system for vang control as well as backstay tension on his 58'' ketch and really likes it so you might consider that. He does still use a preventer rather than a brake. I also added retractable lazy jacks and that certainly simplified stowing the main especially with no topping lift to contend with and a vang that will support the weight.
Old 12-31-2001

pelagia is on a distinguished road
Boom Vangs

Even if you install a rigid vang to dispense with the topping lift, I would recommend keeping the tl rigged anyway. If you''re singlehanding long distances, it might be handy to have a backup should something untoward happen to your main halyard. Maybe just bring it straight down the mast, so that its not chafing the mainsail.

I''m also interested in hearing what people have to say about the Dutchman brake. It sounds pretty nifty.
Old 12-31-2001
Sloopy

sailsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailsail
Boom Vangs

I wold keep your topping lift. and geta simple rope boom vang. Mine is attatched to the mast and boom with winchard snap shacks so when I am going down wind I just unsnap it from the mast and put it on a cleat. that makes it a preventar. when you jibe you just unsnap it and hook it to the other side. The reason for the snap shakle on the boom is for tworeasons. One itcan be used to lift the outbourd off the transom and as a back up main sheet. it also alows you to store it when not in use. I woud stay away from rigid vanes... a guy snapd his mast on a mecreger 26 here inchear lake with one. but then again it was a meregger.......
Bill Mcfadden
Old 12-31-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Boom Vangs

In normal proper installation, a rigid vang places no more stress on a mast than a flexible vang. I would avoid using the vang as a perventor because it can''t be released quickly enough if you have an accidental knock down to windward, big wind shift or a broach in high winds. I suggest a stretchier solution that can be released from the cockpit for a preventor.
Respectfully
Jeff
Old 12-31-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Boom Vangs

we have a garhauer rigid vang on our tartan 37. there are hundreds on tartans they are an incredible value at 3-400 dollars including custom boom pad and mast attachment.
i do not see the need for a topping lift as this vang seems to be bulletproof.

we have gone through gales, a storm and 2 hurricanes with this vang and it still looks and works like new.
practical sailor rated it #1
it''s not lightweight but as i said bulletproof.

with respect to the preventer- see bill seiferts book "offfshore passagemaking"
he illistrates a preventer system that we use.
we have lines running from through bolted pad eyes at the end of each side of the boom to cleats on the boom near the gooseneck.
each of these lines has an eye at the gooseneck end.
there is a block mounted at the bow which has a line running back to the cockpit and a cleat. the other end has a snap shackle . to use the preventer you disconnect the line on the appropriate side of the boom and hook it up to the snap shackle, then just winch it in at the cockpit. works great. this set up is endorsed by the marion bermuda safety at sea inspectors.
happy new year.
eric
Old 01-03-2002

Boom Vangs

Thanks for the tip. I''ll look up Bill Seiferts book and see what the system looks like. It sounds simple and easy.

You are the second one to recommend garhauer so I will check them out too.

Mega thanks for your response!
Old 01-03-2002

Boom Vangs

Excellent point pelagia. I had not considered the need for backup and that is just plain common sense.

I''ll keep the old TL, but out of the way.
Old 01-03-2002

Boom Vangs

Jeff, I take your point. I think the Dutchman replaces the preventer in that it would control any accidental jibe. And would allow the boom to come midships in the event of a knockdown. I keep my eyes open for other ideas.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-03-2002

Boom Vangs

Snap - I will definitely get ahold of Garhauer. They sound terrific and the kind of company I like to deal with.

I added a Mack Pack last year and have been delighted with their lazy jack system. Slowly, this beast is turning into a single hander.