Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Valiente,

You are welcome.

By the way, don't spend a zillion dollars on the a jacket for down south. After a couple of years (or less, depending where you hang it when it is wet) it will get this damned mildew in it and the "waterproffness" (is that the word) does not work worth a crap. Also, in my uneducated opinion, I buy one size larger so I can really spin a winch and just in case I need to layer-up. That is just me, though. A good, snug fitting jacket will suck. Besides, the larger jacket is great to pull over you on the long nights offshore while you are "standing watch".

Take care. Good luck.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsirius
As far as harnesses go, get an inflatable lifejacket with a harness, you are not working bow on a 50' ocean racer - you are doing a delivery, the climbing harnesses are more comfortable if you are doing acrobatics at the bow and up the mast -- you should not have to do either on a delivery.

Safety is the driver, the inflatable lifejacket with whistle, strobe etc is more important and having the harness built in is that much better. Also don't forget a good tether -- ideally with two leads [on short one long].
I'm looking at a Stearns for the PFD/harness combo...but as I already have for Lake Ontario a SOSpenders PFD with whistle, light, knife, etc. and a Likiris harness...I thought I'd upgrade for the 2009-14 circ for which an April delivery will be a warm-up.

I agree about the two-tailed tether...anyone got a preference, or should I follow the recent Practical Sailor article advice?
Old 02-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Valiente,

You are welcome.

By the way, don't spend a zillion dollars on the a jacket for down south. After a couple of years (or less, depending where you hang it when it is wet) it will get this damned mildew in it and the "waterproffness" (is that the word) does not work worth a crap. Also, in my uneducated opinion, I buy one size larger so I can really spin a winch and just in case I need to layer-up. That is just me, though. A good, snug fitting jacket will suck. Besides, the larger jacket is great to pull over you on the long nights offshore while you are "standing watch".
I already have a decent Goretex "rain suit" (actually made for skiing) that I layer with a fleece or two or even a second, slightly smaller Goretex jacket. This is in fact my winter gear (I don't do parkas anymore) because I bicycle on some very cold, but dry days (today it's -2 F/-19 C in Toronto), and I sail in early May to mid-November. This is the sort of get-up I would wear generally, but I think I need something a little better to keep green water from running down my neck, arms and legs if I have to spend four hours at the wheel in 30 knots close-hauled. If I am to help on a delivery in April from Tortola to North Carolina, long tacks are a real possibility, as are big following waves and sloshiness from the Gulf Stream. I've seen the Irish Sea and the English Channel (not as a small-boat sailor, however, as a middle-sized boat passenger) and I have the sense of how wearing relatively mild, but persistent chill and damp can get.

The fact is that a lot of deck time is spent not moving a hell of a lot. That's when you can get chilled...it's like waiting for a bus in an early spring rain...it's worse than a snowstorm!

But the suggestions are very good, guys...thanks. Musto is going to be investigated, and the Alpine harness sounds great. Due to biking, I already have decent diving gloves and know how to keep hands, head and feet warm and dry.
Old 02-15-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Caliente-
I thought last round in PS gave top place to the Crewfit (hard to find in the US) followed by the Mustang ?

I think the new two-thigh straps might be nice if you're going to stay suited up all day every day, but a simpler single crotch strap (less to foul, too) always worked on my dive gear. That's what I added to my PFD years ago, back when they were still un-legalized and crotch straps were unknown.
Old 02-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor

I think the new two-thigh straps might be nice if you're going to stay suited up all day every day, but a simpler single crotch strap (less to foul, too) always worked on my dive gear. That's what I added to my PFD years ago, back when they were still un-legalized and crotch straps were unknown.
Good idea. I had actually considered asking my sailmaker to sew a length of webbing with loops at either end...one over the "belt" of a PFD w/harness and the other to a standard D ring. Then I clip the tether to three rings instead of two. A tailored fit for the manly sailor, naturally!