Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41
I have to admit that there are places that I won;t cruise with women on board. It's a lot easier to give up your boat than girfriend/wife/daughter. I know that the whole issue of pirates gets a lot of attention because it has a certain fear and excitment attached to it but many more sailors go missing because they fall overboard or contract an illness.
Not an option: the wife is the co-captain, and like many short women, she's a nasty piece of work in her own right, particularly when challenged.

Convoy is definitely an option, and a good one, but it does have all the problems associated with that mode of travel: only as fast as the slowest boat; different levels of seamanship; hard for non-pros to stay in convoy; hard to stay in contact in dirty weather and/or at night; tons of radio chatter and so on.

Seems unsporting, I suppose...but the alternative is worse.

As for pirates, the problem is staying aware of trouble spots as they develop. Take this item from today's Noonsite.com:

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2007-02-12-6

Sri Lanka was low on the list of trouble spots until now, and was definitely a place I wanted to visit. Maybe this circ will be spent more at sea than we thought. Obviously, this French boat was armed and unconcerned about demostrating that.

Anyway, this is the sort of crap I do tend to worry about, because you never know how far the local fisherman/shakedown artist will push things. Maybe I need to get a great big external speaker horn, and patch in local navies to yell at locals who pester or attempt to board us for "cigarettes".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
I've wondered about the use of tear gas bombs. Keep a gas mask and some tear gas bombs on the boat. If you have borders, put on the mask, set them off and yell things like "get the guns!" as loud as possible. Throw in a smoke bomb for color shock if its daytime or a parachute flare if it's night. Who'd want to mess with that?? Smokies and tear gas are pretty cheap ($14 per canister and one goes a long way). From most of the accounts, if you can make things uncomfortable for them, they deem it not worth the risk.
Old 02-14-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
If you set off tear gas inside your boat you will have to replace many of the contents afterwards. Cushions and clothing might be cleanable, if treated quickly enough. Nobody will be able to sleep aboard for at least a week, if not longer. It is similar to what happens after an airbag deployment in a car, except tear gas leaves an oily instead of powdery residue.

A very unwise tactic.

In addition, both smoke generators and some older OC gas as well as all modern flash-bangs generate enough heat locally to combust household materials. We managed to burn down part of a training house (made of metal, cinder blocks and concrete) by starting a fire under a sofa using a FB. Real life bears little relationship to what Hollywood presents.

I neglected to add that we once had a 1/2 ounce (small, keychain size) pepper spray container malfunction in the foyer and ended up paying a commercial cleaning company to clean the carpets, walls and stairway up to the store.

I've never looked into the power of electricity, though - I wonder if the steel & wires could be electrified to give potential intruders or boarders a shock. I recall getting zapped by pulses in electrical cow fences as a kid, and those were run off one car battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 02-14-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
If you are really desperate (They ARE going to do you grievous harm) a Molotov cocktail is a better plan than tear gas. Urgent firefighting requirements on THEIR boat could be a marvelous diversion. On the other hand, you might get a lot of unwanted passengers in a hurry.

There are portable fence chargers that could be attached to an insulated loop of wire around your lifelines. The shock may not be intense enough to repel a really determined boarder, and the problem of electrical insulation is a tough one.
Old 02-14-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Best not let them get near you. Here's an idea. Have a device for rapidly spreading a long fish net behind you, turn to keep the approaching pirate beyond the net. When his props get all tangled up, sail away in peace.
Old 02-14-2007

Idiens - I'm not sure if you were serious or not, but on the face of it your suggestion seems to make sense and might be a great nonviolent response. I've never had rope in my prop and have no motoring experience, so:

Those of you who motor - if you were to run across a line of floating nylon rope at high speed in a flat-bottomed powerboat what are the chances of the propellor fouling?

If the odds are very high of that happening you would have the boating equivalent of police stop sticks; at least for boats approaching from directly astern!

Old 02-14-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
Best not let them get near you. Here's an idea. Have a device for rapidly spreading a long fish net behind you, turn to keep the approaching pirate beyond the net. When his props get all tangled up, sail away in peace.
And what kind of device might that be?
Old 02-14-2007

I was thinking of getting 50 feet or more of floating nylon, attaching a weight to each end and using a fisherman's net throwing technique to put the rope in the pursuer's path. Could even be just 25 feet of rope from close enough to make evasion difficult.

I just don't know what the likelihood of the prop actually fouling is going to be.

Last edited by Zanshin; 02-14-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
I just don't know what the likelihood of the prop actually fouling is going to be.
I don't know, either, but it would be easy to assemble 20 or 30 ten foot lengths of 3/16th" polyprop line in a bag on the rail and just dump it aft.

I like this brainstorming, guys. Keep it up!
Old 02-14-2007
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll want to have the 12 guage flares on hand to exterminate those pesky jet skis!