Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2007

wallybygolly is on a distinguished road
Fiberglass cure time

How long do I need to leave for the resin to cure fully before I paint over it and put the boat in the water? The only thing I can get at the boat yard for the next month is 3 days over a weekend...think is going to be a problem?

Figured like this:

Day 1: Cut bad fiberglass out, dewax, lay backing plate, start grinding (maybe)

Day 2: Finish grinding, lay the fiberglass, sand rest of bottom

Day 3: Paint bottom

Day 4: (Monday) drop back in water

Am I leaving enough time for everything to cure/dry? Weather will be in the 80s...sunny...about 50-65% humidity.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends... You don't say what brand of resin you're using, or whether you're using the fast curing hardener, the standard hardener or the slow-curing hardener.

Your best bet is to ask the manufacturer for their recommendation on what you are doing...

Also, you're making the assumption that it isn't going to rain...but you don't say where you're located. In many parts of the country, early March is a good time for rain or if you're further north, snow. You've probably just jinxed yourself by saying that it will be dry, hot and sunny... so if it rains all that weekend, don't be too surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-12-2007

I'm in Hawaii, and down by the coast if it does rain, it will be in the morning for only a few minutes...but yeah, I can pretty much predict what the weather will be like next weekend.

I heard good things about West System...the 105, I think, specifically. So unless, somebody offers a better alternative, that is what I think I'll be doing. I'll be picking up the recommended West System hardner as well.
Old 02-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In that case, I'd go to westsystem.com and see what they say.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-12-2007

Their website was a great help...they are saying 1-4 days for it to fully cure. What they didn't say was if that could be underwater or not...anybody know? I'm looking through Google as we speak...
Old 02-12-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
most of the West system products have inhibitors to prolong shelf life which works against you in curing time regardless of what it says on the label. The resin will not FULLY cure that fast and even if it does, you'll still need to thoroughly remove the amine blush residue. I'm sure people have done it as quickly as you propose but that timeframe is not the best, particularly below the waterline.

You'd be bettert served to get a good vinylester resin from a reputable mfg and make the extra time to allow proper curing.
Old 02-12-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I used MAS epoxy when I barrier coated my boat, and they said to allow 6 days for a full cure. I highly recommend MAS by the way. But whatever product you use, call them to discuss your situation. You don't want to have to do this over again because you rushed it.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-13-2007
Telstar 28

You really don't want this repair to fail because you rushed it, since it sounds like you're patching a hole.

Telstar 28
New England