Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-24-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Eyes Open

I looked into Solomon Technologies first. When I first contacted them by email I requested information on what the specific components would be and overall price, for my installation (I was explicit in my needs) They responded with an email that said I should, basically, go to their site and figure it out for myself. So, basically I did. What I came up with for a complete system in terms of price was approx 25k not including a battery bank.

Based on the displacement of my boat I would need a 40HP diesel for propulsion. The system I described in my previous post uses a 26HP diesel genset. To cruise at about 6 knots in fare seas would require about 2500 RPM on that 40HP diesel, the 26HP genset runs at 1800 RPM delivering in the area of 180 amps. The electric motor uses 80 amps at full power, 2 x 80 = 160 amps. That's what 'opened my eyes'. Each of the engine pods provides the equivelent of a 20HP diesel. 2 of these pods should provide plenty of thrust in my mind not to mention the maneuvering ability of 2 engines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not sold on this system. It is an emerging field for one, I'm concerned about the drag of the external engines as well. The system RE-E-POWER sugested is approx $14K not including a battery bank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Minn Kota also makes pod motors. MK202/EM 36 202 I looked at these a while ago, and they were priced at about $700 each pod (CDN). They also sell complete control systems. At the time I had thought that it would be a good idea to buy these and mount them on a lifting/lowering mechanism at the transom, so that they would not generate a lot of drag underway. In the end, the power issue became problematic. There are two situations when it's desirable to have power on your sailboat. Manoeuvering in and out of slips, and when thing are messy and you need the power to keep you from being blown onto rocks. I couldn't find a system that produced enough thrust without fitting an impractically large battery bank. Fuel cells may be practical in a few years. I looked at the re-e-power site. The drag that they generate is going to be significant. As far as the manouevering assistance from one or two on each side of the keel goes - you won't notice it unless the pods are well away from the centreline. Even then, the keel is going to dampen most of the side thrust, unless you set the pods up on some type of pivoting platform so that they can be swivelled directionally...very interested in hearing about whatever system you go with...keep posting

Last edited by Sailormann; 02-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
26 Horsepower magically becomes 40 horsepower? Physics doesn't work that way. Something is still rotten in Denmark.
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailawayjnl
The benefits of dealing with the Father of Electric propulsion is something that can really wake up an industry of change. Dave Tether started all the marine propulsion many years ago and has now formed a users group for formal and informal information.

make sure you visit if your interested.
Sailawayjnl-

Any reason you're spamming the forums with the same message. This is the fourth one I've seen from you with basically the exact same content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
I thought about this option for a long time and finally just had a 3 cylinder Yanmar installed. I just posted a picture of it at the end of the Re-E-Power thread. There was just not enough duration and power on the pure electric units. The genset option just adds to the whole thing of something else to maintain, and at that point I just decided to get a standard diesel installation.

The 20HP Yanmar will provide all I need and is incredibly fuel efficient and remarkably quiet considering I was used to hearing a 30 year old Farymann.
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, relying on a system that is dependent on electricity to the degree an e-power system is on a small sailboat is somewhat unwise. Large ships can do this, because they have the space and capacity to have redundant systems, but small sailboats do not.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-12-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've been reading about something called a solar st......nah, that's just too cruel.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

Bad Wombat... no cookie for you.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-01-2008

engele is an unknown quantity at this point
As well as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy View Post
You seem to want to make your boat an electric hybrid. Here are a few facts:

1. The area near the shaft log in a boat is not a real friendly atmosphere for continuously running electric motors, especially those that have commutators.

2. A hybrid system is usually less efficient. Think of it as the sum of INefficiencies. You have the inefficiency of the engine, the inefficiency of the generator, the inefficiency of the batteries, the inefficiency of the motor controls (analogous to the throttle), and finally, the inefficiency of the motor. If it were a car, you would make a significant gain in fuel efficiency whenever driving in the city because you would consume no energy when stopped. (That is the big advantage of hybrid autos over those gas burning engines at idle.)

Your conventional marine engine has inefficiencies too, but fewer; engine, transmission. (I am assuming that parasitic loads such as the alternator and pumps are figured into the engine performance.)

3. Electric advantages:
Silence

But there are a few factors not considered here:

1: We have motors (alternators, blowers, etc), in our current engine bays already.

2: Because of the flat torque curve, we need less of an engine than our current engines in a hybrid setup (the genset doesn't need to have a lot of power, just maintain enough to create enough charge capacity). Also you can peak your electric more than your charging capacity because of your batteries, without the torque curve you would have to gun your engine to get up to the needed rpms to get power.

Just so you know, I haven't installed one of these systems either, but I am interested.

Both of those factors may not weigh out enough to make an electric system worthwhile, but at least they do represent some positives that are often overlooked.

I am interested in these systems as well.
Old 05-01-2008

engele is an unknown quantity at this point
Torque Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy View Post
26 Horsepower magically becomes 40 horsepower? Physics doesn't work that way. Something is still rotten in Denmark.
I think the rational for using a lower HP electric to replace a gas or diesel is that the torque curve is flat. You don't need to rev your engine up to get your torque, thus you can get away with less. I am not sure if that is what you were getting at or not, but that is my understanding of the reasoning.

Looking at the electric car sites, that seams to be the reasoning they are selling as well,