Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Source for used roller furle/jib, West coast US?

We are looking for a used roller furler and jib. Any sources out there, pref west coast US? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Wildcard, unless you are looking for generic white cloth without much shape to it...good used sails are simply hard to find. People usually don't junk the old ones until they ARE junk, either blown out, delaminating, or something else near end or life. That's not to say you can't get lucky if you have a popular boat and someone has been buying new sails every season to keep a racing edge, or something like that.

But...often shopping around for good new sails isn't all that much more expensive than good used sails. And even if you sell the boat, they'll bring you a higher resale vale.
Old 02-15-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
What about a used furler with a new sail? Are rollers that much better than hanked on headsails? I have a locker full of them from 50% to 180%
Old 02-15-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Technically, they used to say roller reefing and roller furling were two different things but most of us use the words interchangably and mean roller reefing, where you can roll up part of the sail to reef it, instead of furling where the sail is only stowed on the furler.

A used roller-whatever should still work well. I would contact the maker to ask how the design compares to what they offer now, and if there are replaceable parts what they suggest about them. Many use high density plastic ball bearings, eventually those may need replacement.

They are awfully convenient and even better if you can furl with them, how well they compare depends on how well the sails are made. In theory they may work better because the sail is going all the way up to the foil, without the rough air caused by the hanks ahead of it.

But still, a used sail will be a used sail.
Old 02-16-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Notwithstanding Hellosailor's quite valid observations, Minney's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach is a good source for used anything and has a massive selection of used sails. It is possible to find used sails that were replaced in good condition in favour of fancy ultracarbonmylarlaminatefaster sails. Just not that common. It is also possible to recut baggy sails if the fabric is still good and likely that you would have to anyway if you can't find one made for your model of boat.

If you find hanked on sails inconvenient then properly functioning roller furling is better. And arguably safer since it keeps you off the foredeck. I actually like hanking sails on and I like getting wet on the foredeck. But that's just me. I might change my mind the first time I fall off and watch my girlfriend sail away or run me over trying to recover me!
Old 02-16-2007
Plausible Deniability

Yotphix, I've gotta agree with you that a wet ride on a rollercoaster bow and a fast foresail change well done puts a nice buzz on the day. (Or moment, anyhow.)

Still, when it's wet and sloppy and you're shorthanded, I reluctantly find the expensive gizmo with the extra moving parts and all to be a good thing.