Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2007

Fearless is on a distinguished road
Is this what I need to make my head pump overboard

I am getting ready to cruise and want to make it so I can dump my head overboard and not have to tank waste while underway. Does this look like what I need to make this work?

Thanks for your advice.
Brett

Last edited by Fearless; 02-15-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Want to add image but cant
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
I don't think that will work, but my vacuum toilet may work differently from a Vacuflush.

I run all the waste from the toilet into the holding tank.

There's a a Y-valve at the holding tank outlet:

One side goes to the deck pump-out;
The other side goes to a manual diaphragm pump (Whale Mk V),
which goes to the "direct-overboard" thru-hull.

No macerator.

It's worked well for many years.

There are diagrams of this setup in the West Marine catalog, I think.

Charles
Old 02-16-2007

Why do you think it wont work? I have my doubts but what are yours. For me the current system of holding and then using the macerator when the tank if full is ok but I would like to just put it overboard to save power with the macerator and to not have to hold waste. The system you have sounds like it is the same as my current only it uses a manual pump instead of a macerator.
Thanks for the reply Charles.
Brett
Old 02-16-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I'm curious why you will protect one side of the overboard discharge with a non-return valve and not the other? Also whether you will have trouble with clogs from unmacerated waste at the various corners and restrictions? I haven't use the vacuflush either though so maybe it has the strength to overcome this?
Old 02-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really shouldn't need a check valve at all, if you've properly designed the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2007

My thinking for the one way valvue there was the thru hull would be open all the time when I want waste to go overboard but when I am tanking it the thru hull is only open when I am macerating?? Plumbing in not my thing. Also I hope to not have to use too many corners but I wont know until I get there. I though this was a common thing, no?
Old 02-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would be simpler and easier to plumb it so that the vacuflush runs into the tank, and the tank has the option of pumping out or pumping overboard. This way you don't have to leave a seacock open the whole time you're at sea. Simpler plumbing and better safety. Granted, you lose the option of not pumping directly to the sea, but you could always run the macerator pump once a day...and empty the tank each morning or so.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
With your plans Fearless...I would have NOTHING to do with a macerator on board AND I would plumb an entirely separate through hull for the tank rather than trying to T two discharge lines off to the same. You will find that you will be using the direct discharge 99% of the time once you leave US waters. Use a manual pumpout for the tank and carry spare rebuild kits with you. Are both your heads vacuflush or do you have a conventional one as well? If Vacuflush (which are great heads) carry the spare seal kit (expensive) with you.

BTW...nice website. Hope you don't plan to carry that dinghy on the davits except in good weather coastal stuff. I know you have some months ahead of you before departure but I am hoping you decide to go slow and build up some experience in open waters and rougher conditions before you decide to take that hard turn for the horizon. Will look forward to following your adventure.
Old 02-16-2007

dougyoung is on a distinguished road
I ahve a simalar system, but with no direct pumpout from the head. I use the macerator to pump the tank. So far it has worked great. I do mostly costal cruising.
Old 02-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
With your plans Fearless...I would have NOTHING to do with a macerator on board AND I would plumb an entirely separate through hull for the tank rather than trying to T two discharge lines off to the same. You will find that you will be using the direct discharge 99% of the time once you leave US waters. Use a manual pumpout for the tank and carry spare rebuild kits with you. Are both your heads vacuflush or do you have a conventional one as well? If Vacuflush (which are great heads) carry the spare seal kit (expensive) with you.
Both head are Vacuflush and I have three rebuild kits. My wife and I have lived on the boat for three years and so far I have only had to change the bowl seal on one head, the one we dont use. I hope they continue to be so reliable. If I add another through hull then you are suggesting replace my macerator with a hand pump which makes sense. Then is the configuration the same as above only with another exit point? Fantastic looking boat by the way Camaraderie..