Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2002

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
Jeff & others...your opinions please?

In alittle while I am considering making a change to my boat (Morgan 33 OI). At present she is equipped with a roller furling genoa and I suspect that the sail is not going to last to much longer.

The change I am considering is this: Instead replacing the roller furling genoa, I am thinking about removing the roller furling altogether and replacing it with hanked on jibs.

The bulk of my sailing is coastal, and I am anticipating some offshore...mostly caribbean and such...so in your opinions...would it be more advisable to keep the roller furling, or go ahead and make the change?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

That''s a tough question and somewhat dependent on the quality of your existing furler. I am not really a big ''furler kind of guy''. I know most people love the things but over the years I keep finding myself on boats with jambed furlers. If you had asked me this question last year I would have said, without a doubt, go to a hank on jib if you are going to voyage offshore with your boat.

The idea of getting nailed in a blow with the windage of a rolled up sail really just seemed to be an unacceptable idea. I also have not been very pleased with the sailshape of partially rolled up sails when things really got nasty.

Then there is that certain simplicity to a hank on jib with a downhaul (so you can douse it without going out to the bow) that is hard to beat. With hanks it is easy to ''walk'' up the leech and neatly flake the sail, fold in quarters and put it in a ''body bag'' type sailbag. You can even leave it hanked on and hauled out of the way with the jib halyard. To me that is the epitomy of simple and sensible cruising setups and would have been my clear preference a year or so back.

But a bit has changed. Up until this year, most of the time that I have spent on bigger boats has been on boats with larger, often racing, crews. As I am getting older and also as I am getting used to having my own a bigger boat, (we probably have similar sized jibs since my boat is a fractional rig) I have found it amazingly more difficult to sling sail bags around the boat by myself. (Heck I have an old heavy delivery mainsail that I can hardly lift off of the deck by myself.) So the ease of pulling a line and having the sail all rolled up and done for the day has begun to have a certain appeal.

I have begun to pay more attention to furlers and there seems to be big differences in the ease with which some work vs others. There also seems to be differences in reliabilty from one maunufacturer to another as well. My sailmaker tells me that there is a lot of work being done on improving sail shape on partially rolled up sails. I think furlers are getting better and the technology will continue to improve.

Still if I let myself I think of myself trying to drop a genoa to the deck by pulling it out of a roller fuller luff groove in gale force winds to minimize the number of knock downs under bare poles I am taking or the amount of deep rolling from the weight of the rolled up sails high aloft, I find it hard to be comfortable with the idea of using roller furling when offshore on boats with the kind of size and displacement found on the boats that you and I own.

Just call me a curmudgeon.
Jeff
Old 01-03-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

i am a big fan of roller furling.
i believe all the "around alone" boats that finished used profurl.
that is what i use.
so far we have been in 4 gales, 1 storm, and through hurricane michelle (at anchor) in bermuda. our boat and sails have had no problems or signs of wear.

if you look at http://kimberlite1.homestead.com you will see a video of us running downwind in 30+ knots of wind with just very small furled genoa.
eric
Old 01-03-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

Rob, keep the roller furling! When you buy a new headsail just make sure its the reefing type. For coastal sailing that is all you should need. Once you start passagemaking add a convertible inner forestay for a staysail and storm jib. You can leave these sails hanked on ready to go for when it really gets nasty.
Sure wish I could watch the kimberlite movie !
thomas
Old 01-03-2002

thomas,
what happens when you try to run the moovie?
do you have a high speed modem /cable? i can e-mail it to you
eric
Old 01-03-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

Eric, nothing happens when i try to click on the movie or the photos. Yes I have high speed cable modem.That would be nice if you could try emailing me.
thomasrstone@hotmail.com
Old 01-03-2002

RobHoman is on a distinguished road

Jeff - Thanks for your input. It gives me a bit more to think about. I''m in my 50''s and I can relate to the lifting issues. I guess I need to spend a little more time looking into this before I make any significant decisions.

eric & thomas, thanks also for your inputs. I probably need to also look into more options than a straight "either - or".

Thanks again everyone......now to put on the thinking cap.......
Old 01-03-2002

rob,
i forgot to mention that i added a inner forestay for additional head sails and storm sails. so far these are hank on sails that are not very heavy.
eric
Old 01-10-2002

DARE-Oriental is on a distinguished road

Rob, throw away the furler. Better yet, ship it to me. I thought I was the only one without. Seriously, I appreciate these comments. We''re haveing the same argument.
Old 01-10-2002

aasault is on a distinguished road

I might have the only boat on San Diego Bay without a headsail furler! It''s my first sailboat, so I don''t have any significant experience with them. Probably about $2,000(?) to modify my 35 footer''s rig and headsails, so no thanks. Seems like a lot of money for a very minor convenience, and something that contributes nothing to performance.

Art