Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2007

Duke 7184 is on a distinguished road
Question Routine Engine Maintenance

Weather permiting, it's about eight weeks till spalsh down. One of the first things I want to get done is changing the oil in the engine. The engine [a YANMAR 3GMD] runs good (at least it did a year ago when I started the boat's renovation). The boat is new to me and there are no maintenance records indicating what type of oil had been used in the past. The engine manual calls for either a 20 weight or 30 weight oil depending on the temperature. I'm considering a multi weight. I figure the engine is 25 years old what harm could it do?
I welcom your comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Duke...I always used 30W in my old Yamaha with no problems. Be sure you get DIESEL grade oil as specified in your manual and not just 30W automotive. (Just mentioning this since you said the boat is new to you.)
Old 02-21-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I concur with camaraderie, particularly on Diesel Grade Oil. I use 30w in my Yanmar (didn't even know Yamaha had a marine diesel ) as well and my engine is 23 years old. Don't know how often you motor, but since you have no records, I'd change it again after about 50 hours, with filter. Just a little extra insurance.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
PB...yeah...a typo...but actually I have seen a Yamaha OUTBOARD diesel!!
Old 02-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

That would probably be a Yanmar Diesel Outboard... they make two models IIRC. I don't believe Yamaha makes any marine outboard diesel engines...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2007

Duke 7184 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. Though I am not very knowledgable about diesel engines, I do know to usethe proper type of oil. Just for the info.. The YANMAR 3GMD is a three cylinder, 20 HP inboard diesel. The engine doesn't have a heat exchanger, just stright raw-water cooling. This one even has a hand crank as a backup for starting.
Old 02-21-2007
moderate?

Dawg....hmmm...must be going senile. I stand corrected.
Old 02-21-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 7184
Thanks for the input. Though I am not very knowledgable about diesel engines, I do know to usethe proper type of oil. Just for the info.. The YANMAR 3GMD is a three cylinder, 20 HP inboard diesel. The engine doesn't have a heat exchanger, just stright raw-water cooling. This one even has a hand crank as a backup for starting.
Duke,
Before you fire her up hand crank her a few times to get some oil circulating, particularly if it's been cold in your area. This may be obvious but it's a good idea nonetheless. Might be a good idea to fit a new water pump impellor and oil filter as well.
TD

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-21-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
FYI. The fine folks at Torresen Marine (Yanmar dealers) have said that the newer multi-grade oils, such as Shell Rotella 15-40 (although I may have those numbers wrong, maybe 15-30?) are an upgrade in oil for these older diesels. I changed to the Shell Rotella in my boat with a Yanmar 2GM20F when I bought it 3 years ago and the engine runs fine. Check www.marinedieseldirect.com for more info. Torresen also has a bulletin board there for Q&A's as well.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-21-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
We have been very careful to not to mix different types of oil in our raw water cooled 1982 Yanmar 3GM. When we added some oil, mid-season, mid-cruise, the mechanic we went to took it upon himself to go find a match to what we had put in earlier in the spring, and NOT use the multi-grade stuff he had out on display for sale. If Yanmar says the new, multi-grade is OK, or better, it probably is, IF you are putting in all new oil. Mixing different grades or brands may not be, as far as we can tell.