Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
LINUX to avoid VISTA

Anyone out there with experience of running LINUX on an onboard computer? I am trying to avoid being forced down the VISTA road (i.e. buy a new computer to have enough power to run the operating system). Already I have I nice Compaq Armada running Mandrake 10.1 with all the usual office applications.
Snag is getting anything else on to it without being a LINUX guru. Example: Skype - There is even a version for Mandrake 10.1, which installs and then ... vanishes.
Garmin don't support LINUX. Any chartplotter software out there that runs under LINUX? sigh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007

HeadbangerSmurf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HeadbangerSmurf
You could start here: http://www.eit.se/chartplotter/.

Java based chartplotter software that should run under linux. I'm not a big Mandrake fan so I can't help you there. I know Redhat/Fedora pretty well and have worked on Debian lately. Personally, I'd just go Vista. If you're going to buy a new PC it's worth it. If you've got a decent laptop (that Armada has to be old, they haven't made the Armada line in a long time if I remember correctly) why bother upgrading?

Here's another page of stuff for linux: http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html
It says it's for aviation but I'm sure that doesn't matter too much.

The other thing you could do is run SeaClear under WINE. Check this out:

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

Of course, I don't yet own a boat so I have no idea if any of the stuff I've listed above works. I've read about SeaClear and it looks nice so I'm going to try that when I finally do get something to sail. Hopefully this summer. A client of mine has a 45' Sabre and he uses a computer with a remote display to handle all of his chartplotting and stuff. The one time I've been out on his boat it seemed to work great. Wish I could remember the program he was using. I do know he was running XP Pro.

Tom
Old 02-26-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tom. I have five perfectly good computers. Four are just as fast with their old operating systems as XP is on the the newest. I don't want to buy a sixth one just yet. If I go for VISTA, it will be after its SP2 and then only because it comes with the new machine.
I am using the Armada to gain experience with LINUX. All the office applications work fine on it and are subjectively just as fast as the same applications on a 2 GHz Dell under XP - but the Armada has only one tenth of the processor speed and one eighth of the memory.

I will follow up your links. I will try WINE, it might solve some problems.
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problem I see with running WINE is whether you can get WINE to recognize the NMEA connection. If it is a serial connection, it shouldn't be much of an issue, but if it is USB or USB-to-serial, you may have some problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Ihave a Garmin gps with a serial port. An adapter from serial to usb works just fine.
pigslo
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The only problem I see with running WINE is whether you can get WINE to recognize the NMEA connection. If it is a serial connection, it shouldn't be much of an issue, but if it is USB or USB-to-serial, you may have some problems.
Any modern linux distro should be able to handle a usb to serial connection. At least they better be able to. The last time I tried to run linux on a laptop was two years ago and I couldn't get the wireless working in a decent amount of time (over a week) so I went back to XP. Of course, the laptop is older and the wireless was poorly supported. If I were to load up a distro on my current laptop (compaq nx7010) I'm sure everything would work. I'm currently running Vista and using an XP Pro video driver to make the screen work.

Actually, I've got that old laptop sitting on a table at work now that the guy using it left the company. I think I'll load up Debian or something and see if this stuff works. Sure will pass the time better than reading the forums and dreaming of spring.

Tom
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pigslo-

The question wasn't whether the USB-to-serial adapter would work, but whether it would work under linux and be recognized by a program running under WINE in linux.

BTW, there is a fair amount of good open source software out there that is GPS related for Linux.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-26-2007

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Mac for Raymarine

Does anyone know whether running a macbook in Windows XP startup mode will run the Raymarine RNS software?

Raymarine itself is not prepared to make any commitment.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusmurphy
Does anyone know whether running a macbook in Windows XP startup mode will run the Raymarine RNS software?

Raymarine itself is not prepared to make any commitment.

Thanks
Do you mean running XP on a Macbook with Boot Camp? It should run just fine. There are XP drivers for all of the hardware included in the Boot Camp setup.

Tom
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

The only driver that has some issues AFAIK is the iSight driver, which doesn't support sound under Windows... but I haven't played with the latest BootCamp drivers is a while, so that may have changed. The Raymarine software should work just fine, as there shouldn't be any hardware specific issues at this point.

Telstar 28
New England