Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2007

ModMMax is on a distinguished road
single side band radio

Where should I go to purchase a single side band radio? I have looked on the www and found several but would appreciate product specific advice from those who own and use one. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends... are you going to do the installation yourself? If not, then I would probably have whoever is going to do the install purchase if...if they can get it at a reasonable price. Also, what capabilities do you need in the SSB radio you are getting? Do you need to have a Pactor modem setup? Do you need Ham radio capability?? Finally, how much space do you have for the radio setup? Do you want a single piece unit, or do you want one with a separate control panel and main radio body?? Do you want an automatic antenna tuner??

A couple of on-line sources that are usually competitive... defender.com, hamiltonmarine.com, pyatch.net, binnacle.com, mauriprosailing.com. Not all will have all the same products, so YMMV depending on what you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
In addition to what sailingdog said, you might try some of the on-line ham radio outlets such as Ham Radio Outlet and Amateur Electronics Supply. I haven't priced these lately but i suspect you might get a better price and selection at these compared with the marine suppliers.
Old 02-26-2007

Thanks guys. Geez, didn't know it was this complicated. Thought the radio and antenna might look and install like a VHF. I will be doing the install. The person I talked to said that in the Bahamas, there is weather and other information available every morning on the SSB and I should have one. That's about as much as I know. I found a www site that showed one about like I described but no price and they said it was commercial marine grade which told me it was going to be pricey. Sailingdog, thanks for the info re places to shop. I'll start looking.
Old 02-26-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
ModMMax,

Give Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio in Punta Gorda, FL a call. He's extremely knowledgeable, a real gentleman, has good prices and good technical assistance for things he sells, etc.

www.docksideradio.com

Bill
Old 02-26-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
This might be a dumb question, but, what's wrong with an old(or new, they still make'em) Cobra 148? Are there differences between SSB's?
Old 02-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Most of th ssb radios being used are icom the model 802 is the lastest and greatest. You would need the radio, a very good ground, a antenna tuner, pactor modem. All in all about $3500 plus installment. Here is a link for another brand that I found that has the antenna tuner built in a savings of about 450 bucks. I have seen this radio as low as $1600.
http://www.boatersland.com/fs1503em.html

Hope this helps, if you google ssb radio, you'll also find plenty of information.
Old 02-26-2007

Just got off the phone with a company in Lauderdale that sells and installs. As said by Freesail, I will need a ground plan, an antenna, an antenna tuner, a radio and about $3500 bucks. I keep running into CB/SSb radios. Is this a trucker style CB and is this different from the SSB I would want in the boat? Goose327, you talk about a Cobra radio. Cobra is a common but high end CB is it not? Will a standard CB work at least to listen to the SSB broadcasts? If you think I look real stupid right now it because I am. Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out.
Old 02-26-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
NO no ,, Max,, not stupid at all my friend. I too am wondering, what is the difference between these $$$$ radios and the $$$ ones. I can get a Cobra 148(yes, high end CB) for around 150US, it has a built in SWR adjuster, 40 channels plus upper and lower sides, and puts out max. 12 watts, flying a masthead antenna would get a GOOD signal out and back.
I'm sure the high ends Icoms you guys are refering to are more suited to marine use, but are the REALLY different?
Old 02-26-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
They are entirely different. Any CB radio, including the SSB version, is a pickup truck toy - 5 watt max transmit power and limited in frequency range to just the 40 designated cb channels. By comparison, a marine SSB is 100 - 150 W output and will/can cover the frequency spectrum from 1.8 - 30 Mhz continuously.

Some radios, like the furuno radio linked previously, are not continuously tunable which can be a real pain depending on your needs. If you ever hope or plan to use it on ham bands, make sure you buy one that has a true variable frequency oscillator (VFO) which allow continuous tuning. The furuno type above as well as others are a hybrid in that they tune similar to a car radio.

Last edited by k1vsk; 02-26-2007 at 04:08 PM.