Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why are you posting duplicate threads on the exact same topic???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007

jgruen is on a distinguished road
sorry saildog... did not mean to inconvience you....
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doesn't really inconvenience me...but it is considered rather rude by net etiquette standards...also means that many people will end up replying to both threads, not realizing that they're from the same person, which uses extra resources on the server that really isn't necessary.

Cam- Can you merge this thread with his other one???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-26-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I use Maptech on my computer tied into a 12 volt gps. The computer is at the nav station because you cannot see the screen in sunlight. I do all my course work on the computer. At the helm I have an old Magellan chart plotter but I rarely use it as a chart plotter prefering to use it in something like the "highway mode" which gives me course corrections SOG waypoints etc. I manually install the route on the Magellen This works fine in open water. I am going to up grade my helm chart plotter because my current system doesn't work so well in close quarters like going down the ICW.
Talking to the Maptech guy at the Miami boat show you can now get weather via satellite through your GPS but you need the pro series. Weather is coming and may soon be on some GPS/chartplotters soon if not already.
My system provides redundency
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

EBS-

Garmin has had weather via Weather XM radio on some of their chartplotters for almost two years now. It is a subscription based service however.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Threads havebeen merged to prevent confusion and duplication of effort.
Old 02-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
So for Mac, MacENC and NOAA? Any other recommendations for Mac?

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-26-2007
Telstar 28

Not really... the software field for the Mac is a bit more limited. Two of the major programs, GPSNavX and MacENC are by the same company, and the last one that is of any note hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Thanks cam.

Telstar 28
New England