Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2007
bbennett

Ladyhawke2 is on a distinguished road
Tightening Keel Bolts

I want to torque up the keel bolts on my Mirage 32 before launch this spring and am having a devil of a time finding the correct socket to do it. The nut on the bolt is 1 1/8" which is pretty common, however it needs to be about 3 1/4" deep (inside measurement). All of the sockets I have found so far have an inside depth of 2 3/4". Any idea where I might be able to find one...?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool Sockets

Have you tried the major tool distributors? Usually Snap-On, Mac, Matco or Proto have just about everything. Most of them even have websites with the tool dimensions such as depth, I.D, O.D etc.

I've got an aviation background (and still in it) and I can't remember anytime they failed to find a tool for me. I've also worked on trucks, tractors, boats, etc.

There are also some off brand tools (Husky and the like) carried at your local auto parts stores that would also be likely to have the right tool. If all else fails, have one of the deep well sockets machined out a little deeper.

Good luck!

Last edited by capngregg; 02-26-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If you can find a vendor, you may pale at the cost. I'd guess $100 for a socket in that size, because you will only find it from better vendors and single large sockets--not even deep ones--are incredibly expensive.

An alternative might be to look for a tool rental company or a hydraulic lift rental company in your area, many of them will also rent you a tool for the day. If you can find an AutoZone store, they also rent and loan tools, although this may be outside their range.

If all else fails, you could take a standard 1-1/8" socket to a machine shop. Have them cut it in two, weld the ends into a pipe, and voila, a deep socket. (Yes, big deep sockets really ARE that hard and expensive to find.)
Old 02-27-2007

Lurch is on a distinguished road
Deeeeep socket!

McMaster-Carr has a 1-1/8", extra-deep socket, 1/2" drive, with an overall length a tad over 6" in their catalog. Their url is http://www.mcmaster.com/
The socket is in stock, part no. 55375A43. It's listed at $37.14. Also, it's a 6point, but I'm guessing you have enough swing room for that to be a non-issue.

You could probably find something similar from just about any industrial tool supplier, this is just the one I'm most familiar with.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhawke2
I want to torque up the keel bolts on my Mirage 32 before launch this spring and am having a devil of a time finding the correct socket to do it. The nut on the bolt is 1 1/8" which is pretty common, however it needs to be about 3 1/4" deep (inside measurement). All of the sockets I have found so far have an inside depth of 2 3/4". Any idea where I might be able to find one...?
Just a word of caution. Find out from the manufacturer of your boat the proper torque specification for your Keel Bolts. More failures are caused from over torq than are caused from under.

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 02-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lurch has pointed out one of my favorite tool resources on the Web... Mcmaster.com is always one place to check for the weird/rare tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
LadyHawke you are going to have to rent a long handled torque wrench any way so you should be able to get a socket there as well. I torqued mine last year but were I work I was able to borrow them.
You will have to find the torque specs somewhere but assume they will be about 400 foot pounds. That is a pretty good pull on the wrench, I found that setting it up and pushing with my foot to be the easiest method.

If you can't find what you need PM me I am not far away.

Gary
Old 02-27-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
LadyHawke if you know or know of some one in the trucking ind. or truck repair bus or even a mechanic for autos . ask them as those are common place in the ind. some one will prob let you borrow it for a couple of days on the wknd. are there any flee markets or pawn shops around you? i know you can find them at flee markets all the time, for real short money like 3-4$ or seven to ten for one in really good shape. good luck
Old 02-27-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Don't assume that the torque specs are anything. I had all my dock experts telling me 300 to 400 pounds. An e-mail to the builder said no tighter than you would a tire lug nut. When my dock mates (all experts by the way) laughed at me and asked where I got that rediculus info I told them from Charlie Morgan. That is only my specific Morgan designed boat and any other Morgan may be different.
pigslo
Old 02-27-2007

IslandRaider is on a distinguished road
Torque To manufacturer specs and add a drop or 2 of red locktite