Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Great info, I just bought an old SJ21 that needs a serious scrubbing.

Long ago, I heard of people burning up car paint-jobs with those buffers & have been scared of them ever since. Should the same fear apply to gelcoat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Neises-
There are differences between a polisher, compounder, buffer, and buying a good tool with the right pad and the right "goo" for the job all count. The other rule every pro can tell you is never, never, let the wheel stay in one place--it always should be moving.
If you ask in an auto body supply shop, they probably can point you to the right tools and pads.
Old 03-02-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thank you, I'm going to stay afraid & just do it Mr. Miyagi style for now.
Old 03-03-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
halekai36:
Thanks for the great post. The last issue of DIY went in to some gelcoat maintenance detail. They also recomended sealing the wax after it was applied. They used Interlux Teflon Wax Sealer for the job. I have never heard of this before. They said it protects the wax and makes everything last longer. Ever use a sealer as a final step?
Wayne
Old 03-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Spend the $60 on the Poly-glo. Just walked out in the driveway and the porch light is shining nicely off the hull onto the fresh snow. It will have been on a year in April and spent all last season in the water. No equipment, no effort, great shine, and looks to be good durability. Once the oxidation is off the gel coat does not shine because of the minute pits in it from aging. the Poly-glo fills those in and presents a uniform shiny appearance. You must get the oxidation off or you'll just have shiny chalk. Takes less than an hour to apply six coats to a 30' boat with no physical exertion.
Sail, don't sweat.
Old 03-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the use of PoliGlow. It has worked quite well on the boats I've used it on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sailaway....another thing we agree on!!
Old 03-03-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"They also recomended sealing the wax after it was applied. "
Ah, you've got to love marketing and marketers. So, they want you to apply a synthetic sealant on top of the "natural" sealant...to seal the sealant? Let me guess, the wax coat is just there to distribute atmospheric stresses from passing jetskis, preventing the hull and the teflon sealant from delaminating.
(See? I can pitch horsepucky too!)

I've got this real strong hunch that PoliGlow (however you spell it) is the same product that revolutionized the auto dealership "aftermarket" business in the US around 1980. You'd take a five dollar tube of the goo, heat it up in hot water, then wax (excuse me, polish) the car with it. And charge the customer about $300 instead of the $75 for a Simonize job, because it was so exotic.

IIRC the stuff was a decent synthetic polish, but even at $60 for the DIY market, LORD THAT'S EXPENSIVE POLISH. About 5x more than DuPont's own Gen-You-Whine Teflon products.

Until last year DuPont expressly said Teflon has to be baked on, it has no value as dust in a wax or finish. Then they introduced their own line of Teflon waxes, finishes, and polishes and even with a coupon for a free bottle or can--I didn't buy one, because there are so many different similar products, I just got sick trying to figure out which did what.

Collinite. Carnauba. Whatever! And a pox on all the "miracle product" hucksters and their houses!
Old 03-03-2007

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Poli Glow (or however you spell it)

I've use the product for three years. It's easy, time saving and worth the money. I don't know how it's made but it works for me.
Old 03-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I was not a believer myself until this past summer when I saw a badly oxidized 1969 Columbia with a dark blue hull restored to almost showroom condition. The hull was first de-oxidized with 400 grit hand wet sanding...and looked really ugly after is was wiped clean with mineral spirits afterwards. Then 2 coats of the magical poliglow were applied and I was amazed at how good the hull looked. I see the boat daily and it looks almost as good 6 months later. I'm sold on the benefits and ease of the product but I'm sure it will need renewing which is much easier than waxing.