Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007

TradewindSailing is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have some long term experience with PolyGlow? How about years later, does it flake of or does it wear evenly? I would like to try it but what happens if I don't like it? Can I go back to just wax?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
This boat was done...

With one of the miracle coatings but I can't honestly remember which one. Yes they can yellow and yes they can peel. Last season I did a polish with my rotary buffer and one coat of wax in less time than the guy two boats over to my boat spent cleaning and applying Poly Glow. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT as easy or quick to apply as they market it to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I can't speak to long term-I'll let you know how that works out. But once you have the oxidation removed, as Cam stated, it is just as easy to apply as advertised.
The stuff really works as advertised and Practical Sailor was impressed.
The last "miracle cure" I tried that actually did work was Rain-X and that was 20 years ago.(not on the boat)
I don't know that I can get the results with it that halekai gets with wax. but I do know that, in about a month or so, I'm going to go out and wash the boat and then spend under an hour with the Poli-glo and be done for the year. You pick 'em.
Old 03-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, my guess is that boat was done with NuGlass2, which has a rep for yellowing and being otherwise pretty nasty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
The Collinite 885 is no joke when the prep is done right. I use it, I don't get the results halekai36 does but it lasts hands down. This is a twisted bunch I love it. PEACE and happy sailing.
Old 03-05-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Like I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
BTW, my guess is that boat was done with NuGlass2, which has a rep for yellowing and being otherwise pretty nasty.
Like I said that could be Nu-Glass, Vert Glass or what ever I don't recall what that guy used. I have used PoliGlow on a friends Mako and it did flake. Unfortunately for him he had been using one of those "wonder waxes" with lots of silicone and teflon. Even though we cleaned his hull three times with the PoliGlow cleaner, according to the manufactureres instructions, NOTHING will completely remove silicone from a pourous surface. His lasted about 3 months before any serious flaking but even when we spot cleaned and re-applied the same spots flaked again. He went back to good old elbow grease, a wet sand, and a three step polishing phase and his Mako looked like new and never peeled again. I did not notice any yellowing with the PoliGlow but keep in mind we could not even get a year out of this stuff so it most likely had not had enough UV exposure to even begin yellowing. If you have ever used a wax with silicones or Teflon I'd advise NOT using any of the miracle coatings..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree that if you're using any of the silicone or teflon-based waxes or coatings...that Poliglow will have trouble with it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-05-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk
Halekai
Have you or do you have anything written similar to the above for Awlgripped hulls?
Sorry I'm late jumping on this thread.

As Cam said, we have gotten good results from Awlwash and Awlcare. Awlgripped hulls are a lot easier to care for.

Old 03-05-2007
Telstar 28

The girl in the bunny suit looks pretty unhappy.... you don't pay your crew enough.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-05-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I must admit, thats not the best picture of my teenage daughter.
But she is mine, so she works for no wages.