Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2007

percyplace is on a distinguished road
Rib inflatable

My older [1989] 11ft avon rib has a problem with water accumulating between the floor and the bottom of the fiberglass hull.It is unclear how the water gets into this space but it can be drained with difficulty through a drain hole provided.
I had thought to drill holes in the floor and and fill the space with expanding foam . Does any body have any thoughts or suggestions ?
Percyplace
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
Do not use expanding foam.
It will be difficult to control the amount of expansion and will probably do more damage. Also the chemicals in the expanding foam may eat the RIBs material. Further the expanding foam is very flamable and unstable at high temperatures (such as RIB baking in the sun in July).

I recommend calling around to places that sell the RIBs. Many have repair centers that are very reasonable. You can also often get other manufactures dealers to repair your RIB. For instance a Zodiac dealer will often work on an Avon RIB (out of warranty of course). Check the web site for a list of authorized dealers for your RIB.

Happy sailing!

Todd
Old 03-02-2007

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
Have you tried to replace the stern lower plug?
Old 03-02-2007

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Most dual hull RIBs get water between the two hulls. Mine does as well, all you need to do is while it's out of the water pull the second drain plug and out it comes -- works better is bow is higher. I do this every so often and it has never been an issue.

I think most of the water comes from the joint between the hulls where the tubes connect - but can't say for sure - cause there is water in the hulls after a really heavy rainfall.
Old 03-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto Sirius' experience and yours Percy. I had a West by Avon which is the same hull as yours and had the same issues. Just need to beach the dinghy and let the underside plug drain every now and then. I would not attempt to repair it. They put the drain on the bottom because it is expected to gather water. P.S. now have a single hull Caribe Rib and like it a lot better!
Old 03-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Expanding foam is great for filling in spaces that need insulation. Period. It is very poor at waterproofing as any home-owner who has attempted to fix a basement wall with it can tell you. And once you are ready to do the repair correctly you will have the devils own time removing it. If you wish to fill a space so that water cannot occupy the space that is currently air that is fine. But be under no illusions that the stuff will in any way make it waterproof or watertight. With even the best of results capillary action will still triumph.
Old 03-03-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
It's called condensation..

And it happens to designs like a rib with dual floor. If your hull is sitting in colder water say 65 degrees and the surface temp of the floor inside the boat is 110 degrees in the sun your going to create condensation. The plug also is not a 100% seal as it must let some air out or the hull would explode when it gets to hot.. If it's LOTS of water than you have a problem but if it's just a little over a few weeks it's condensation..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.