Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-07-2007

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
Same brand name, usually located in the tools dept. Used for dipping tool handles. I went to the UK site, same product.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007
It's the Appeal of Steel

Tubsmacker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tubsmacker
Thats good news, I'll post my results as and when I get around to the job.
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One word of caution with the plastidip...it will make the covers much heavier and stiffer if it is the stuff I'm thinking of. Also, it is somewhat limited in what colors are available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
For some reason, I'm having difficulty accepting the advise for using plastic tool handle goo for a sail cover coating, as being serious.

Is this application really advisable?
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can see it being workable... I don't know if it will cause problems, as sunbrella breathes, but plastidip-coated sunbrella probably will not breathe at all. The problem I see with this approach, or the paint approach, on some reflection, is possibly mildew issues...due to the lack of breathability to the painted or dipped cloth.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-07-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I've been a bit hesitant about this thread from the very beginning.
Once UV has done its damage, I think the item needs to be replaced.
Old 03-07-2007
It's the Appeal of Steel

I agree with Sailingdog on the issue of breath-ability that needs further investigation. I think the weight issue is perhaps not so important after all, these things are locker bound when underway are they not? Furthermore, the product can be thinned and sprayed on it appears. As for UV, my initial point was that the UV damaged the colour but not the fabric itself. I'm not being overly miserly, it's just that it seemed a shame if not environmentally wasteful to dump covers simply because of the fading. I wonder if the once breathable Sunbrella could be ventilated with vent studs to make up for the plastic tool dip solution?

It is nice to see such interest in my humble question. I do however view the option of simple replacement as simply 'giving in' and not improving the 'status quo'. Having said this, I think those that buy white covers initially, buy wisely indeed!
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

IIRC, the white sunbrella is the material that breaks down the fastest... the darker colors have better UV resistance. The color won't fade on the white ones...but it might yellow, and it can stain pretty easily.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-07-2007
It's the Appeal of Steel

Lol, I stand corrected Sir. That, Sailingdog, is why you are a Senior member here and I am a Junior one!
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubsmacker
Lol, I stand corrected Sir. That, Sailingdog, is why you are a Senior member here and I am a Junior one!
LOL... nah...it's just that my work lets me play on the internet way too much, especially when it is cold up here and my boat is out of the water for the winter season.

Telstar 28
New England