Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-05-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
Diesel questions

Hello

I recently purchased a boat with a fairly new - 2004 - Yanmar 1GM inboard. With new transmission, stuffing box, cutless bearing, et al...

The boat has been on the hard since Fall 2005. I had it surveyed on Friday. It started on the 2nd attempt (started on the hard) - in 42 degree weather and after it had been pouring rain for 12 hours. Prior weather has been freezing cold for weeks (live in CT).

Question 1 - most references I have read state that a diesel - if all is OK - it should start on first try. I assume that it didn't start on first crank since it has been sitting for a long time. Does this make sense?

Question 2 - Would you recommend replacing all the filters and impeller since it has been sitting for a while? Should I replace the flax in the stuffing box?

Question 3 - the fuel tank is full. But it is probably ca. 2005 gas. PO sai it was treated, etc. But do you think it is worth pumping out old fuel and replacing with fresh fuel?

Question 4 - ultra low sulfur fuel is being sold now. I hear there may be issues with this. Any comments on potential impact here? I know for gas engines the cutover from MTBE to Ethanol has cause lots of issues...

Thx

Rickl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Q&a

The boat has been on the hard since Fall 2005. I had it surveyed on Friday. It started on the 2nd attempt (started on the hard) - in 42 degree weather and after it had been pouring rain for 12 hours. Prior weather has been freezing cold for weeks (live in CT).

Question 1 - most references I have read state that a diesel - if all is OK - it should start on first try. I assume that it didn't start on first crank since it has been sitting for a long time. Does this make sense?

its been sitting for over a year, and it started. consider yourself very lucky

Question 2 - Would you recommend replacing all the filters and impeller since it has been sitting for a while? Should I replace the flax in the stuffing box?

replace all filters & fluids, engine oil, tranny oil, fuel... poste haste.

replace the packing? why? get it in the water, then take a look.

Question 3 - the fuel tank is full. But it is probably ca. 2005 gas. PO sai it was treated, etc. But do you think it is worth pumping out old fuel and replacing with fresh fuel?

yup, the quicker the better, unless the boat will be on the hard for another 4-6 months. Use "biocide" to clean out any junk.

Question 4 - ultra low sulfur fuel is being sold now. I hear there may be issues with this. Any comments on potential impact here? I know for gas engines the cutover from MTBE to Ethanol has cause lots of issues...

no impact to you or your boat, your engine is of a new enough design to handle it just fine.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-05-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperret
Hello

I recently purchased a boat with a fairly new - 2004 - Yanmar 1GM inboard. With new transmission, stuffing box, cutless bearing, et al...

Question 1 - most references I have read state that a diesel - if all is OK - it should start on first try. I assume that it didn't start on first crank since it has been sitting for a long time. Does this make sense? yes it should, but on cold mornings it may take a bit longer, especially if it's been sitting.

Question 2 - Would you recommend replacing all the filters and impeller since it has been sitting for a while? Should I replace the flax in the stuffing box? I don't know about the flax, but absolutley change ALL the filters and drain the water trap. The impeller "should" be OK, it's only a couple years old.

Question 3 - the fuel tank is full. But it is probably ca. 2005 gas. PO sai it was treated, etc. But do you think it is worth pumping out old fuel and replacing with fresh fuel? Use it to start your next bonfire, then put NEW fuel in it.

Question 4 - ultra low sulfur fuel is being sold now. I hear there may be issues with this. Any comments on potential impact here? I know for gas engines the cutover from MTBE to Ethanol has cause lots of issues... I haven't noticed any problems with the new fuel in my tow rig.

Thx

Rickl
I don't know anything about your Yanmar in particular, but I drive a Ford 7.3 deisel van as an everyday driver.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 03-05-2007

thanks for the quick response!

and yes I do feel lucky that it started - in fact, both batteries on the boat were marginal at best according to the surveyor so i feel even better.
Old 03-05-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
LOL Paul.

OK Rick, there ya have it, both of us said the same thing at the same time, we can't both be wrong.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 03-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That it didn't start on the first try isn't that surprising, since it hasn't been started in over a year.

I would replace the filters and impeller. The filters are an unknown, and replacing them just makes sense. Impellers can take a set if they've been left sitting for a long time. The stuffing box should probably be repacked as well. The new, high-tech, dripless stuffing material is probably the way to go. It would give you a chance to inspect the prop shaft and the bearings and seals. Also, you don't know how old the current packing is...or whether it has dried up and is starting to score the shaft...so why risk it.

I would also empty the tank and have it cleaned. Chances are pretty good that there is gunk, slime and sediment at the bottom of it.

Not sure about the low-sulphur fuel and what problems it may or may not be causing. I think it is probably less of an issue than the ethanol is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-05-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rperret...I hope you plan do do a sea trial before making the deal final. Just cause an engine starts...doesn't mean it is OK. It should be run in gear at full rpm and the tranny excercised as well---This could be a most costly mistake if not done. Assuming all works well:
1. Change the impeller, fuel filter, fuel, any hoses that look/feel worn, re-pack stuffing box...much more easily done on land.
2. Change oil and oil filter...check alternator belt.
3. Work all through hull fittings and replace any frozen ones before going back in the water.

New diesel should be no problem...when you pump the tank out...work the hose around the bottom of the tank and get the gunk and water out before putting the new stuff in.
Old 03-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One modification to what Cam said... It might be worth getting the diesel tank cleaned while you have it on the hard and empty of fuel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-06-2007

The tank is new so I was hoping to avoid taking it out, etc. Unless it can be cleaned while in the boat.

Thx.
Old 03-06-2007

Tom967 is on a distinguished road
First of all regarding your fuel...No need to replace it or clean your tank..."polish your fuel"...For about 100 bucks...they pump your fuel...The recycling gives you an analysis and pumps back clean..Now you have clean fuel...Check in your area who cleans marine diesel fuel..Usually 2 guys in small tank truck..they spend about an hour..They suck it out through your fuel intake..and pump back the polished fuel

Your first familiarization with engine..should be learning how to change your filters...Changing the oil is relatively simple...A 40 dollar West marine syphon pump with can attachment makes it a 10 minute job..and changing the filter another 5 minutes.

The fuel filters another story..This is a bit more difficult...The mechanics quite easy.. First replacing your primary...usually a spin off Racor..then the fine filter..above your feed pump..Takes about 20 minutes...Now you have the prospect of bleeding the damn thing...Since the system is dependent on suction...you cannot have any air..Therefore all the air has to be bled out..

The Racor has a pump..the 230S...has to bleed fuel...follow fuel line to feed pump...crack the bleeder screw..prime pump leaver..till all bubbles out...close it up..now bleed the injector pump...Now start it up...Engine will run...may run for 10 minutes or so..then cut out ..you need to rebleed..

Yeah change the impeller on water pump good practice..

My point is this...put a little sweat equity into your engine..learning how some of your systems operate..and the nature of your questions will change..