Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sandranbob...welcome! You made a good choice with the KISS and hopefully you'll see more consistent output from it as you get south. One thing I would say is that you need to get to 100% on your batteries every couple of weeks to keep them from sulfating. Either that or do an EQ charge run once a month or you will see fairly rapid deterioration in charg holding capability. A small honda or similar might be a good choice for this duty or you could plug in to a dock every so often.
Good luck with the cruise plans.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2007

twblaw is on a distinguished road
my two cents

Well I use to own a westsail 32 with a Adler Barbour unit in the ice box, a lap top, auto pilot, etc. No separate freezer, no TV. On Gulf of Mexico crossings, from Pensacola no need to run the engine at all and my marine Air, (noise was a pain sometime) wind gen worked well. In 15 knots true, on the wind or beam reaching, I could get by with running the wind gen for only 5 hours a day. In lighter air more time was needed but hardly ever 24 hours a day. More like 12 hours if wind was under 10 knots, but even then if you are making 5 knots you still get lots of juice.

On the hook what few places I stayed on the hook were relatively open. But I am looking at a Kiss system for my boat. It puts out more and makes less noise (much less as one guy had one in my marina and you could hardly hear it) But I also plan at least two solar panels. The wind gen is self regulating which I liked. (so was my last one) So solar will be new to me. But if one can get 5 days or so without running the engine using solar and wind combined, well that works for me. I don't mind cranking the engine on that sort of schedule.

I have a larger boat now, and have not done any offshore or coastal sailing much, no time. But my old boat needed about 75 amps a day to run everything. On my present boat, I don't have anything else to run (I forgot that on both I had an SSB) But I assume 75-100 amps a day will work just fine. (I have an inverter on the new boat and microwave so I wonder) But I would think I would get at least 2 amps and hour at anchor with a wind gen (though likely more) at 10 knots and have not ever been in a place where I did not have at least that much wind 80 percent of the time. Then with the solar giving me 35 to 40 amps and hour, I think cutting back on use when there is not much wind or no sun will work just fine.

terry
Old 04-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
twblaw-

I think you're being overly optimistic on how much power the solar panels will provide, unless you plan on having a bank to rival CD's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
just brought this thread back to piss Sailaway21 off
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

Evil, but for a worthy purpose...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-20-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm thinking of installing a flux capacitor, powered by dilithium crrrrrrrystals. Can I get 80 Ah's out of these if I shove a solar powered hairbrush up my butt, stand on my left leg and shout "hooty-hoo"?

*on a related note, how come they always had to go across the darn galaxy to NonOxynol-9 to get more? How come Scotty didn't keep a spare pair in the Fridge?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-20-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
I'm thinking of installing a flux capacitor, powered by dilithium crrrrrrrystals. Can I get 80 Ah's out of these if I shove a solar powered hairbrush up my butt, stand on my left leg and shout "hooty-hoo"?

*on a related note, how come they always had to go across the darn galaxy to NonOxynol-9 to get more? How come Scotty didn't keep a spare pair in the Fridge?

Cuz' he "canna change the laws of physics, cap'n!" ?

('hooty-hoo'? I'm still laughing MAO)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:

If that is how you generate power on your boat, I really don't want to know about it... and I thought the guy with the noisy diesel genset was a bad one to have in an anchorage with my boat....

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-20-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

CAPTAIN, SHE CANNA TAKE ANY MORE HUMOUR! SHE'LL COME APARRRRRRTTTT!
Old 04-21-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
non-oxynol-9, that's some killer sh*t!