Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-08-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrr1
I was just thinkin, the last time I had the boat out the wind was 20 knots on the calm side, gusts to 30. That's gotta be more strain than a 300lb. engine, no?

Don
Probably, but I've done this sort of haulout five or six times now, and I have always used a mast crane or a truck crane. Imagine some idiot stepping aboard at a crucial point and imparting 10 degrees of heel...so long, fingers.

I suppose if you have confidence in the forestay, etc. you could rig vang-type preventers to keep the boom centered or where you want it, anyway, and then it becomes a more or less rigid beam from which you can hang the come-along or some other tackle. Me, I just drop a hook from a 10,000 lb. capacity winch down the companionway and shout instructions to "the button man". That way, knowing that 90% of the weight is on the hoist, I can physically lift and position the engine up and out in the sort of loose "S" motion necessary to get it out into the boat. Then you can just walk the beam over to the pickup and press "down".

Interestingly, I'll have to think of this next fall, when I haul my much larger (650 lb. Westerbeke) diesel out for inspection/possible top rebuild, redo of all belts and hoses and repainting. The engine compartment hatch is 3 x 4 feet, but the best way to get 'er done is to remove the entire pilothouse roof and then to hoist directly up by crane.

That will give me a chance to make sure there's some sort of isolation washers between the steel frame of the pilothouse and the aluminum roof, I suppose, as well as a redo of the wiring in there.

A thought: When you haul the engine is a perfect time to replace hose clamps and hose to the exhaust system, waterlift muffler, thru hulls, etc., as well as to clean and paint the bilge and the compartment itself. I am looking forward to making that whole area sparkling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrr1
I was just thinkin, the last time I had the boat out the wind was 20 knots on the calm side, gusts to 30. That's gotta be more strain than a 300lb. engine, no?

Don
Probably, even if you had a jib up...which helps balance out the load on the mast... But, it would really be a shame to not check and then ruin the mast, the engine and probably leave a pretty big hole in the deck for whatever time it takes to just check it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to pay the yard crane boys but they aren't sure if they are going to be able to get to my boat by the time I need the engine out. Of course timing is now my enemy and the yard doesn't want to go out of their way to help. I just bought this boat in December, was planning on keeping it at this marina (name withheld to protect the innocent... if any). The marina is in the process of being sold and it appears that no-one gives a **** about customer service there anymore, maybe it's always been that way, who knows. That coupled with what I found the fees for the year are going to be has made me find accomodations elsewhere, 20 miles elsewhere. Right now the boat is on the hard so the fingers 'should' be OK.

I want to thank everyone for their input, it has helped me organize my mind. I am in a time pinch now and, well, the mind can get flustered at such times. I have also made up my mind not to force anything as I can always take it out piece by piece after I sail it to it's new home. I am going to be residing on her after the move and preferably I would have liked to do what Valiente said and have the bilge area 'sparkling' when I move on. Funny thing, I have no qualms about sailing it from marina to marina with no engine but this engine removal thing has me figity.

Thanks again all....

Don
Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don-

Glad to help... I hope you have fair winds for your trip to your new home slip... sounds like it is a good idea to get out of dodge, while the getting is still good.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-08-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You might consider putting one of the halyards around the boom at the point you are putting the comealong on - this will more directly support the weight and avoid a bending moment on the boom itself.

We've done this before, but with a small volvo, around 250 pounds on a 28 footer and it went fine.... a larger engine might change things.

Also - will a comealong provide enough clearance to lift the suspended engine over the companionway?

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007

I have good news, the engine is out and on the ground. My buddy suffered a 1" cut on his index finger tho . All in all it went well other than that. Kudos to Faster, Valiente, sailingdog and Idiens for their comments, they were very helpfull.

Don
Old 03-12-2007

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Pictures

Did you take any pictures? Would love to see them. Will be needing to do the same thing soon.

David
Old 03-12-2007

I did not , it was a hectic job. I can go over the details with you and/or answer some questions via private messages if you wish.

Don
Old 03-12-2007
Telstar 28

Bueno, glad to hear all went well. Now, you just have to put the new engine in... that is going to be a bit more challenging.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-12-2007

I've already made up my mind to remove the cockpit sole for that job and then reglass it after all is done! The boat has a center board and the trunk for the control line runs down right behind the ladder of the companionway. It's probably why the original owner installed the engine mid cabin. The new one is going under the cockpit and if I cut the floor out it will be a straight drop. I am also not going to use a chainfall off of the boom like I did yesterday, I'm going to buck up for the yard crane .