SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Removal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/30058-engine-removal.html)

donrr1 03-08-2007 11:40 AM

Engine Removal

I'm almost ready to remove the old diesel from my boat. I am planning on using the boom to lift the engine from it's bed and hoist it thru the companionway. The engine is located mid cabin which will aid the process. I have 3 halyards plus the topping lift to support the boom. Once the engine is slightly raised from it's bed I am going to remove the last three bolts holding the transmission on and remove it, there will be plenty of clearance to remove the engine. I was planning on using a comealong to do the lifting. I am using a four foot bar to distribute wieght along the top of the boom.

If anyone has experience with this procedure, any suggestions you may have to aid the process will be greatly appreciated. I may or may not have a helper. I need to get the engine out before sailing the boat to it's new home about 20 miles up the Chesapeake Bay in three weeks.

If anyone is interested in a running Arona C295 25hp marine diesel for parts they are more than welcome to it. The seals on the fuel pump are shot allowing fuel into the crankcase, I have 0 interest in using this motor in the future.

Thanx for your time.....

Don

pigslo 03-08-2007 12:16 PM

The key will be balancing the weight front to back as the motor lifts from the bed. You will need a front and back attachment point that you can adjust so that it doesn't tip too far forward or too far backward.
pigslo

Valiente 03-08-2007 12:36 PM

Skids and levers under the mounts help, too. Getting them off the bolts is the difficult part, unless you are lucky enough to have a straight lift upwards.

What is the diesel weight? You know to lessen it (especially if it's permanently leaving the boat) by draining all fluids, removing the flywheel and taking off the alternator and manifold, starter and other accessories, right? Those are heavy pieces and they may be spares for reuse or trade. Hauling out is when they get damaged or do damage to the boat. You want to haul out as "bare" a block as you can easily manage, because it will be lighter, "smoother" and narrower, all the better to go up through the companionway and/or hatch.

The Atomic 4 complete is 300 pounds. The Atomic 4 stripped to a block (but with head and lifting ring) is less than 200. I can manhandle the latter with a hoist and a wrecking bar. The former is going to get pieces bent.

donrr1 03-08-2007 12:48 PM

I have removed alternator, water pump, starter, exhaust manifold, only thing external remaining is the trans which will come off before pulling it thru the companionway. I have no actual weight on this motor but my guess would be about 200lbs stripped, it's a two cylinder. If I don't have a helper to help on one end or the other, there will be some words to the effort. One good thing is, the bolts used on the mounts were sleeved, the studs don't protrude above the engine mount flanges. I was going to secure the engine from moving violently aft after coming off of the mounts by a rope secured to the mast step if I don't have an extra body.

I probably am as ready as I'm gonna be, but you know that haunting feeling of, 'what am I forgetting'? Thanx Valiente, didn't think about the flywheel...

Don

kennya 03-08-2007 12:59 PM

("I was planning on using a come along to do the lifting.") Do you have access to a small chain hoist you will have much better control. You may have to hoist a set back down several times before you get the balance correct.

sailingdog 03-08-2007 01:02 PM

Don—
Before attempting this...please do check and make sure that the forestay is in good shape... the three halyards and topping lift will do little if the forestay decides to let go. :D

donrr1 03-08-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Donó
Before attempting this...please do check and make sure that the forestay is in good shape... the three halyards and topping lift will do little if the forestay decides to let go. :D
Now THAT puts my stomach in a knot, crap. I'm otw sailingdog.

sailingdog 03-08-2007 01:12 PM

I just thought I'd mention it... sometimes the really important basics get overlooked... and it can come around and bite you on the backside. :D

donrr1 03-08-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Donó
I was just thinkin, the last time I had the boat out the wind was 20 knots on the calm side, gusts to 30. That's gotta be more strain than a 300lb. engine, no?

Don

Idiens 03-08-2007 02:27 PM

You could prop up the end of the boom with a crutch, or do you intend to swing the engine over the side with the boom?