Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-09-2007

lavida is on a distinguished road
Garmin Disk or Chip? GPS Which is better

Which is better, to buy the Garmin chips or to buy the disk with the unlock codes and download the information onto the chip? I like the disk idea because I presume i can make back up chips....but it costs for the down load software...also the disk seems to be better priced than the individual chips...on the other hand, the blank chips are not cheap....one other thing, do I have to buy the garmin chips or will any chip do? Thanks, Tim la vida nueva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I believe the Garmins use a proprietary chip in their bigger chartplotters, like the 192C. The handheld 76CSX uses a miniSD or microSD, which is not proprietary, and a good deal less expensive for it.

I haven't priced it with the newest BlueChart G2 software. Which chartplotter do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2007

cpntodd is on a distinguished road
Garmin CD rom is better than data card

If you purchase a Garmin preprogrammed data card and something happens to it, i.e. accidentally program over it, Garmin will not replace it. If you buy the CD Rom and blank data cards which are either proprietary, SD or MicroSD depending on your unit, you can program only the areas you want on the card from your CD rom and then reprogram another area on there if you go elsewhere. The cost is a little better I believe using the CD rom. You can also make a copy of your CD rom and store the original in a safe place so it doesn't get beat up from use. Can't do that with the preprogrammed data cards. I've just been going through this exercise trying to decide which to get for my 276C. In my mind there's no question.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing about the chips vs. the CD. The chips will work in most Garmin chartplotters that can accept that type of chip... the CD downloads are locked to specific chartplotters via the serial number and unlock code. However, you can use each chart you unlock from the CD on two different chartplotters IIRC.

P.S. SD Cards are nice because you can Write Protect them... you can't do that on their proprietary cards... the microSD cards can be, depending on whether the adapter you use to fit them in an SD slot has the WP slider or not.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-09-2007

I33 is on a distinguished road
Blue charts

I've got the CD and the unlock code for my 276C--bought from Garmin. I load what I want on my 256mb blank chip. I also bought the Texas coast chip on eBay. I often reprogram the blank chip for highway use and then change back when I'm on the boat. Bought City Navigator and the unlock code for that too. While I'm into the system for a bit more money, it has proved to be very flexible.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

I have the 276C as well, which I primarily use in my truck, but have the local charts loaded on it as well. Nice little unit...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.