Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Actually that is kinda cool for most diesels so it doesn't seem like there is any overheating issue. Based on the fact that you are not losing any fluid at the dock...it may be an underway issue with the engine under load. Given Pigslos comments I am leaning to the tranny oil cooler now.
I would definitely pull some fluid out of your tranny and check it for contamination.
As to damage... I would like to tell you to leave the dock and motor a while but if that sucks coolant into your tranny or engine block you could have big problems. Again...I would change the oil inspect it and inspect the tranny fluid. If there is no evidence of contamination in either...I would then take the boat for a run under power and see if fluid levels go down. If they do...check oil and tranny again and if there is no contamination it is almost certainly one of your exchangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
ok thanks. the oil doesnt look 'greenish'. i havent checked the transmission fluid except a quick glance the other day to see if it was topped off. again i don't remember anything green. the heat exchanger we took out a little while ago and there wasnt anything 'noticeable'. i guess if its the heat exchanger that just means coolant is leaking out into the raw water system and being flushed out?
Old 03-12-2007

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
You said you had the cylinder head gasket replaced?
My thought would be that this is where you issue is.
Instead of leaking externally as it was it is now leaking a very small amount of collant water into a cylinder, but only under load.

You might try simply torquing the cylinder head bolts down to spec. Perhaps they were not tightened properly.

Beyond that it would really be something that one would have to see.

Good luck!

Todd
Old 03-12-2007

thanks all. i guess i know how next weekend will be spent!
Old 03-13-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Certain head gaskets still need a second torqueing after a certain amount of hours. Many newer ones are torqued once at installation. Nevertheless I think you will find your problem in that area, as it was worked on most recently. Was the head checked for warpage when the gaskets were done? Your local auto mechanic will probably have a tester that samples your coolant for hydrocarbons. As previously stated, the oil pressure is much higher than coolant pressure and so the oil will show up in the coolant first. Check around with a few mechanics. I think you need to sample the coolant hot-ask the mechanic with the tester.
I am also in agreement that your engine is running a little cold. 180 degrees is generally considered the point at which your most efficient combustion and, more importantly, you begin to burn out moisture and impurities from the engine's lubricating system. A cold running engine also hastens the demise of everything down stream from the exhaust manifold.
Good luck. I'm bettin' on the head.
Old 03-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Actually that is kinda cool for most diesels so it doesn't seem like there is any overheating issue. Based on the fact that you are not losing any fluid at the dock...it may be an underway issue with the engine under load. Given Pigslos comments I am leaning to the tranny oil cooler now.
I would definitely pull some fluid out of your tranny and check it for contamination.
As to damage... I would like to tell you to leave the dock and motor a while but if that sucks coolant into your tranny or engine block you could have big problems. Again...I would change the oil inspect it and inspect the tranny fluid. If there is no evidence of contamination in either...I would then take the boat for a run under power and see if fluid levels go down. If they do...check oil and tranny again and if there is no contamination it is almost certainly one of your exchangers.
well i m still w/o a solution, both tranny and oil fluids a fine, and no white smoke out the back. cylinder head is torched up. hoses seem tight and no tell tale green drip. i replaced the radiator cap but i m not sure thats going to result in anything............i guess i need to take the heat exchanger out and get it tested again?
Old 03-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you are still losing coolant...that is all I can think of. Bummer...boat stuff is never easy!
Old 03-19-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
My bet is still on a faulty gasket and you are loosing water into a cylinder. Hard luck!
Old 03-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
My bet is still on a faulty gasket and you are loosing water into a cylinder. Hard luck!
anyway to check if thats the problem w/o taking off the cylinder head?
Old 03-19-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Not easy on a diesel, no plugs to pull, sorry.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.