Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-09-2000

Sailorkim is on a distinguished road
Head Holding Tank - Ericson 29

Greetings -

I have and Ericson 29. Just bought her. The fellow that I bought her from has the head draining into the drink - no holding tank. Any 29 owners out there with possible solutions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2000

Kalakala is on a distinguished road

I don''t have an Ericson but I do have a Columbia that I recently added new plumbing and a Wye valve.
The tank should fit under the v-berth
Old 01-25-2001

thevoid999 is on a distinguished road

I have an Ericson 29, 1974. The holding tank is under the starboard sette - I believe it''s about 30 gallon.

Oddly, the water tank is only 12 gallon - I guess that explains the need for all the beer
Old 01-25-2001

sjacovino is on a distinguished road

Sometimes a cockpit lazarette is the easiest place for both installation and access of a holding tank. It also depends on the location of the head. If it''s forward near the V berth, then maybe under the V berth is a better alternative. I''d try to keep the length of sanitary hose and elbows to a minimum. I guess the answer is whatever works for your boat''s layout is the best solution (<:
Old 01-25-2001

Sailorkim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. The plumbing on my boat is in the same place - just aft of the head. Do you have a hard tank or soft. Some say that the hard has less odor. The space is an odd shape. Long and shallow. It would be nice to find one that has a "V" type design. What kind of tank do you have? Also - the rails on top of the cabin are missing on my boat. Any idea where to find replacements? Thanks Again - kim
Old 01-26-2001

sjacovino is on a distinguished road

I''m actually in the process of putting a new tank on my boat. There were bladder tanks on this boat and I would never recommend them except as a last resort when nothing else will fit. There was a review of several tanks in the Sept 2000 issue of Practical Sailor. SeaLand appears to have some good tanks and does make a large (52gal) bow tank but it is kind of pricey (www.sealand.com). There is a company called Ocean Link that makes all sorts of shapes and sizes (www.oceanlinkinc.com). I''m sure there are many more companies doing this as well. Just search the web for "Holding Tanks". Of the tanks reviewed in PS Sealand appears to be the thickest (3/8"), i.e, no smell and very little side flex. I am considering getting their entire system, with tank monitor, vent filter and discharge pump, if I can figure out how to make it fit on my boat (only 2 sizes available 28, 40 gal rectangle)

As far as your rails, I don''t have an Ericson, but if you are refering to standard teak grab rails, West Marine carries several different sizes.

Good Luck- Steve
Old 02-01-2001

lisailor is on a distinguished road

Yes I just bought a 1974 Ericson 29, it too had no holding tank. But through a bit of online research, I came upon the perfect solution for my situation. The boat came equipped with an original head by Raritan called Compact. Raritan makes two holding tanks specifically for the Compact. One is a permenant mount the other is a portable. The great thing about both is that they are molded to the shape of the head. I choose the portable, which reqires no pump out or vent holes through the deck. The portable is 5 Gallons good enough for two people for a weekend. If you''re interested email me and I ''ll provide pricing and part #s. Good Luck
Old 04-01-2009

charlierusty1234 is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank

I purchased an Ericson 29 last spring. It has a recirculating tank. First I had seen of this type. However, there is not a lot of room under the forward berth so it seems to work. The tank has a 15 gallon total capacity. You start by filling it part way with chemical and water which is supposed to keep the recirculating fluid smelling fresh. It works mostly as specified. Haven't yet found out just how long I might stay aboard before a pump out is required but I think it would probably do a couple of weeks anyway for a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorkim View Post
Greetings -

I have and Ericson 29. Just bought her. The fellow that I bought her from has the head draining into the drink - no holding tank. Any 29 owners out there with possible solutions?
Old 04-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
You are replying to an 8 year old thread. I think he found the answer by now.