Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-13-2007
HMSINDY

JohnYates is on a distinguished road
electric winch handle

I just bought a Milwaukee 18 volt right angle drill to use as an electric winch handle. I can't wait to try it.
Has anyone else tried this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be careful... it is awfully easy to damage stuff with an electric winch... if the winch handle has that much resistance, you should usually check to see what's wrong instead of increasing the power...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
i'm thinking of doing the same thing... for health reasons, not that it has "increased load"... I have "decreased ability"

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CP-

Understandable...esp. in your case... One thing I would recommend is that you use the clutch feature on the drill, rather than have it drill mode...that way if it does hit something that causes extra resistance, you have a chance to stop, fix it and then go on, rather than just causing damage.

Usually this is more a problem on boats with the built-in electric winches, but it is a risk any time you add power to a winch, even if you do it manually.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to fit a lanyard to it! Bad enough losing a regular winch handle.
Old 03-14-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Capt. John on the boat next to me has been using a cordless Milwaukee right angle for quite some time. Recently he had some difficulty trying to charge his batteries for it. The charger is polarity sensitive and if you allow your batteries to run completely down to 0 vdc the charger will not charge. The way you can overcome this is to jump start the battery with another battery and voila the charger will now recognize your batt.

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 03-14-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Drill=fast. Winch=slow.

I think you'd be better off with an electric socket wrench. They do make those, both corded and cordless, and having torque instead of speed probably would work better for you.

Running the drill with a high torque load (winching) might burn it out before its time as it overheats, even though a Milwaukee should take a lot of abuse.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-14-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2007

shugy is on a distinguished road
electric winch handle

I am in agreement with most of the posts ,especially yotphix's idea on a lanyard as a good friend of mine had one and it is now at the bottom of Monterey Bay. An expensive lesson
Old 03-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The milwaukee is ideal...sold as a winching product with a platic cover under the Winch Buddy label.
http://www.winchbuddy.com/
Old 03-14-2007
SONNY

S/VNirvana is on a distinguished road
electric winch handle

I had the 18 V and sold it to buy the 28V right angle drill. I use it on my SO49 to raise the main, and it's great, goes up without any trouble. I haven't used it on my Pearson 36 yet but it will be OK. I bought the drill bit from a company that makes the bit into a cube and it lasted only one season.

I found another company that sells the winchbit: I have used it numerous times and shows no signs of wear.AMERICAN MARINE SERVICES Get the power to your Winch with Winch Bit Winch Bit Makes Your
Winches Electric
The Link Between your Cordless Drill
and Your Winch

The Affordable, Portable, Winch Driver
  • Raise the Sails
  • Furl the Jib
  • Trim the Sheets
  • Go Up The Mast
  • Retrieve the Anchor
  • Hoist the Dinghy on Deck

Trims The Sheets Winch Bit converts all
self-tailing manual
winches to Electric
winches for the
unbelievable price
of $44.95, when used
with the owner’s heavy
duty 18 or 28 volt Ĺ” drill motor.

Winch Bit is made of Heavy Duty Stainless Steel with a 1/2" Shank that will fit 1/2" drill motors.

The shank is also facetted to provide a solid grip under heavy load.

Unique to Winch Bit, the 8-point bit safely distributes the load to protect your winch from damage.

Recommended: "New" Milwaukee Model 0721 - V28 Right Angle 1/2 inch Right Angle Drill with over 1000 in/lbs. of torque

Takes You Up The Mast

To order Winch Bit click on the order form on this site or go to eBay.com. When on eBay search for Winch Bit.

For further information contact Info@WinchBit.com or call
Toll Free 877-528-3415

http://mywebsite.register.com/cgi-bi...nchbit.com&P=1