Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-15-2007

rryan14 is on a distinguished road
Replacing crazed lexan hatches - updated question

In an earlier thread, the question was asked how to replace crazed lexan glass on Lewmar hatches (see Hatch Glass Replacement). In this same thread, a Lewmar-certified shop, Select Plastics, in Connecticut was mentioned and I called them. But, I was shocked by the cost, approximately $300/p 22x22" hatch. I have 3 hatches. Ouch.

I'm sure this company does great work, but my question is this: couldn't most any glass company do the same thing with lexan or should I bite the proverbial bullet and just pay?

Thanks, Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Ouch

Shop around, look at local glazing companys and or do-it-yourself, if you use the smoked Lexan it is truly forgiving make a pattern and cut the plastic to match make a mould and radius it to fit your current configuration place in the oven @ 200° till the plastic relaxes and let cool naturally at the prices you quoted you could get enough practice to become an Expert

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 03-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... I don't see why you couldn't just get the lexan cut to size by any competent glazier. The fitting and installation of it will be a bear, but nothing beyond what most competent sailors are capable of handling. Unless the lexan has some significant curvature to it, it really shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Most ports are convex and not flat, this is done to facilitate the shedding of water particularly on the deck skylights. Boatlife caulk should be used to bed the new Lexan. To remove the lexan utilize a piece of music wire and manipulate it thru the old caulk and with a pair of vise grips on each end of the wire you and an accomplice can use a sawing motion to remove the old port.

Fair Winds,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Mc; 03-16-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bill-

Most ports may be convex, but most hatches I've seen that are lexan or acrylic are flat, or very close to it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I need to replace my main sliding hatch. It is about 1/2" thick and is curved, about 3/8" in 30". It does not sit in a frame just slides in the rails.

I was planning on checking with a glass shop, but would heating the new one then clamping it to the old one to take the shape work? Any suggestions ?

Gary
Old 03-16-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If it doesn't have a frame, I bite the bullit and pay the $300.00. If the edge curves a fraction you'll have leaks.
Old 03-16-2007

Sialia is on a distinguished road
The SailNet store carries Lewmar hatches. Size 60, which is 22 11/16 x 22 11/16, possibly the size you're looking for, is listed at $398. Here's the link: http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...oducts_id/3924.

Although I have not worked on Lewmar hatches, I did build 6 new hatches for my boat in 2003. If you use Boatlife Life caulk, as recommended previously, and you're careful, you can probably replace the lexan (or use cast acrylic instead of lexan) yourself and have a leakproof job.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Sailingdog,

You got me. I was so caught up in my own evolution that I have just completed, that I didn't comprehend the question. Maybe I can redeem myself. If its just the flat Lexan that goes on top most companionways. Its pretty straight forward any glasier should be capable of replicating it. To do it yourself. Cut out the same shape/size hatch, the radius of the edges can be accomplished with a router, you need a sharp cutter and a mist of coolant to prevent smearing the material and then polish this edge with a cloth wheel and rouge. I hope that helps...

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 03-16-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M
I need to replace my main sliding hatch. It is about 1/2" thick and is curved, about 3/8" in 30". It does not sit in a frame just slides in the rails.

I was planning on checking with a glass shop, but would heating the new one then clamping it to the old one to take the shape work? Any suggestions ?

Gary
What kind of material? Lexan?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.