Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2007

ulpilotrmh is on a distinguished road
Outboard Security

Realizing that the best way to secure an outboard from being stolen is to remove it from the boat when not in use, is there an outboard lock device that will prevent the motor from being stolen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, there are a bunch of different outboard motor locking devices. It depends on the size and make of the outboard in question. For some ideas of what's available... look here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ulpilot... many outboards have holes in the turning handles that turn the screws which secure to motor on your transom. If you just align these handles correctly, you can slip a lock through those holes preventing anyone from removing it from your transom.
Old 03-16-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
It might be idea to re-inforce your transome with as SS plate. We lost 7 outboards at the yacht club one night. The thieves had heavy metal, they cut out an entire fence section and on several of the boats, simply cut the transom around the locked outboard.
Old 03-16-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
I use this on the outboard on my inflatable. The lock seized up once and I couldn't open it. It took me about 30 seconds to hacksaw thru the lock hasp, even while it was in the locked position. It's better than nothing, but not by much!

Old 03-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Another good option is the standard U-shaped bike lock made by Master. Slip the U-bolt through the holes in the clamp handles and then lock it. I have used such a lock on the Merc outboard on my trailer sailer for a couple of years and it has worked great. Plus, you might already have a bike lock sitting around, as I did.
Old 03-16-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If a thief wants your outboard motor bad enough, he will find a way, regardless of the locking device. Our marina has excellent security, gated, motion lights and 24/7 guards. But, I do lock it to minimize potential theft when we leave it at a dinghy dock or shore while anchored in distant ports.

To prevent accidental overboard loss of the outboard while running, I use an 18" length of heavy gauge stainless cable, with an eye clinched at each end. One end is permanently secured to a pad eye on the inflatable's cast aluminum transom plate, and the other clipped to the outboard by a stainless carabineer.

Whenever I feel the need to lock it, I thread a stainless padlock through the carabineer's fixed eye and the transom pad eye. This keeps honest crooks honest.
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, any lock or security device is a deterrent to the casual thief... you don't generally have to make it theft-proof...just more difficult than the one a few boats down.

If the guy is really intent on stealing your particular outboard—there isn't a thing in the world you can do short of taking the thing off the boat and home with you.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2007

ulpilotrmh is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody

for the responses. I'll just go with a pad lock whenever I feel like leaving the motor on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.