Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-18-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Self furling jib?

So I have decided to get a roller. Now the question is what size? 130% 150%? I have no idea.... It's for a 1964 CC 35sailyacht motorsailer.
Any advice out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
What are you currently using? If that is sufficent, get the same. If not, go larger or smaller depending on how it does work for you and your sailing area.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
What do you use for downwind sailing? Some kind of Spi? If not, then the poled out genoa is a reason for 150%. But watch out for sheeting angles with such a big sail. For going to windward, it's hardly worth having more than 110%. Unfortunately, furling 150% down to 110% is nowhere near as efficient as having 110% as the full sail, because the best form is never obtained rolled.
Old 03-18-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I have a C&C 35 Landfall on the Chesapeake Bay, and recently bought a new 140% roller furling genoa. My thinking is that the 140 will be a little more powerful than a 130, but it'll be easier to handle singlehanded than a 150 or 155. If I need to furl it heavily for a storm, it'll keep a little better shape than would a 155.

In the spring, when the winds are generally strong, I'll fly my 100% jib, which has a good shape when fully deployed, and keeps a good shape if I have to furl it a substantial amount in strong winds. When the winds lighten for midsummer, I'll fly the 140% genoa. It'll keep the boat moving as long as there's a little wind. If the wind becomes so light that the 140 isn't enough to keep it moving, I'll use a 3/4 oz. cruising chute, with a chute scoop to help me singlehand it. When the wind becomes so light that the 140 isn't enough, I don't think the 155 will be that much better. At that point, I think the boat will move much better by changing to the cruising chute. The combination of the 100, 140 and cruising chute should provide pretty good performance over a wide range of conditions.

By the way, I'm looking for a good used cruising chute with about a 43.5' luff, and a chute scoop, if anyone has one for sale.
Old 03-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Wildcard/all,

I have a similar interest (will be replacing the existing genoa). I do not want to hi-jack your thread so I'll ask this one question and will be looking at the answers. but just to build on your question to better understand the issues on which to make a decision:

One essentially chooses a sailsize for roller furling based on where you will sail and which conditions will prevail. Ideally you want to have the genoa fully unfurled as much as possible- because it will be at its most efficient. Is this correct? If I understood this correctly, then what other conditions would be considered in choosing a 110% over a 130% or a 150% (other than wind velocity)?

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 03-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Other than prevailing typical wind velocity the only other thing you need to consider is the availability of a proper sheeting angle for the size you desire. This can almost always be achieved through various hardware additions (additional track, turning blocks, snatch blocks etc.) but needs to be thought out in advance of purchase. One might also argue that conditions which would support a 150 would be better met by a drifter and a smaller genny.
Old 03-18-2007

The boat is in Hawaii with trades 10-15 most of the time. My 100% works well but I think I want a little more on the roller? Like a 110 or 130 or even a 150???? Im just not sure of what I need.
Old 03-18-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you are currently satisfied with the performance of the 100% jib, then probably go with the same again. There is a lot to be said for the ease of tacking a non overlapping headsail, especially if sailing shorthanded most of the time.

A new sail the same size is going to improve performance anyway, and if you are indeed satisfied at the present time then you're most likely going to want to reduce sail now and then rather than go for more. Using a 100% sail also means less time sailing with an inefficient partially-furled sail.
Old 03-18-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
wildcard - You should be able to get your sailmaker to modify your existing jib to fit the furler. Then you can see what difference the new luff makes. I would go for a little more area to increase reaching perfromance a little.
Old 03-18-2007

I have a load of jibs on the boat. 50, 100, 130, 150, 180% Ive only played with the 100% I have no idea if Im satisfied with it as Ive only sailed it half a dozen times. The wife is the one hot for this. I guess she does not like the current method of stowing the jib which involves me yellling a lot so she says. LOL
Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.