Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
I am very satisfied with "sailcruiser" from navsim. It displays various chart formats. The format I am using is C-MAP. The chart reader also displays AIS information. I have (had) a Furuno GPS but used a USB-antenna for the laptop. Just in case the laptop went down. By the same token I also have paper charts for the same area that I have electronic charts.

When sailing in the North Sea and in the English channel in particular, both radar and AIS is very helpful. Radar for detecting the many fishing vessels, and AIS for detecting and calculating course and speed of the fast ferries.
Old 01-17-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I have a laptop with Maptech, but I almost always use my plotter. I have one question though about downloading the free NOAA charts that can be used with Maptech (and other navigation software).

When a chart is downloaded from NOAA what happens after that? Does the chart download to your desktop or folder that you assign the download to, or does it go right into the folder of you navigation software that holds your current charts? Does anything special need to be done so the navigation software will recognize the chart?

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this operation before I attempt it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaldur View Post
I am very satisfied with "sailcruiser" from navsim.
Funny you should mention that one, T. I was at the Toronto Boat Show on Thursday and Navsim had a booth. The daughter of the developer was giving demonstrations and I liked the flexibility of the program and the fact that it could deal with a large variety of map formats.

When I found out that it could integrate a video camera output with the chart information, I immediately thought of navigating a reef and using a filter on a mast-mounted camera to locate coral heads in tropical lagoons as a second set of "eyes".

I also asked if you left the system running at dock, would it be possible to use screen capture programs and wireless to send pictures to a private website. She phoned her father and he said that it was. I said the reason was that it was useful to me to see the wind conditions at my dock and to look at the wave patterns to determine if I needed to visit the boat and to tie on more lines.

I think this would also be useful in certain anchorages, where if you are ashore sending e-mails with a laptop, you could see what is happening around your boat, as some anchorages can have very different local weather than what you are seeing ashore.
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on what software you're using to download the charts. In most cases, using a web browser or FTP program, you'll have to decompress the charts and then move them to the proper directory for the software to see them. You generally also need to tell the software to look for new charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I have a laptop with Maptech, but I almost always use my plotter. I have one question though about downloading the free NOAA charts that can be used with Maptech (and other navigation software).

When a chart is downloaded from NOAA what happens after that? Does the chart download to your desktop or folder that you assign the download to, or does it go right into the folder of you navigation software that holds your current charts? Does anything special need to be done so the navigation software will recognize the chart?

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this operation before I attempt it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It depends on what software you're using to download the charts. In most cases, using a web browser or FTP program, you'll have to decompress the charts and then move them to the proper directory for the software to see them. You generally also need to tell the software to look for new charts.
Thanks sailingdog!
Old 01-19-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I use MaxSea which, contrary to everything this forum stands for, I got a copy of from a friend (never paid for it ) but here's the endorsement - if I had to pay for it I would without question. It's really good. Uses the old style C-Maps charts and I have the entire world on my notebook in good quality charts.

And I agree with SD, for voyage planning (as opposed to local sailing), Virtual Passage Planner is good. I just hope their data on weather and currents is better than others I have seen because I have sailed some areas where the data was badly wrong. But the software is easy to use and seemingly pretty accurate. We have just used it for a freind who is sailing next week from Seychelles at NZ and the data and the reports we got are great. Just hope it's accurate.

Maybe when the trip is done I'll remember to report the actual experience vs the expectation. I have saved copies of all the reports so we can compare.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Thanks sailingdog!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-23-2009

jaakennuste is on a distinguished road
I've collected quite a list of PC navigation software with prices and links to my blog. May be it helps somebody to make ones mind.

Complete list of PC navigation software — almost complete « Sailing Gadgets

Old 07-24-2009
Telstar 28

You really need to update that list, since Maptech has gone out of business, and other companies have taken over their navigation software, and not all of the ones listed are still in business or available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakennuste View Post
I've collected quite a list of PC navigation software with prices and links to my blog. May be it helps somebody to make ones mind.

Complete list of PC navigation software — almost complete « Sailing Gadgets

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-25-2009

jaakennuste is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You really need to update that list, since Maptech has gone out of business, and other companies have taken over their navigation software, and not all of the ones listed are still in business or available.
Thank's Sailingdog. What other companies are out of business except Maptech?

Jaak